Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So I'm a 5th year medical student and I'm on an ED placement which is something I was very excited for. I thought it'd give me the chance to prepare for F1 and practice the core skills that I need.

Instead, it's done the opposite. I find that the nurses don't seem to like me and often tell me I'm getting in the way or to "go sit somewhere else." I try to go to nurses and ask them if I can practice cannulas and catheters and they say they'll find me but even when I'm right there, they will just do it themselves. Sometimes when the pts ask about something and I go pass the message on to the nurse, they'll make a comment like well why are you telling me?

I know waiting around is normal but I thought I'd feel more a part of the time and less isolated but I feel even more "alienated" than I did in year 3 and 4. I tend to be at placement from 9am-6pm on most days and most of that will be chasing doctors to listen to me present and then them being like ok, I'll come find you and then I'll have to sit around for 1 hour before they even do, which a lot of the time they won't.

I'm here for 6 weeks and I don't know whether I can continue staying there for 8 hours everyday. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how they've kind of got passed it? I've always found that in previous placements because I'm "keen" and go in often and appear interested, doctors tend to like that and are keen to teach but it seems the complete opposite here.

I'm scared that I won't have any of the skills that I need for F1 because of the lack of chances to practice anything. Any tips from anyone would be appreciated
Hudl
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
X
I'm sorry that you have had to go through this. Sometimes, especially in busy and stressful environments like A&E, staff members can be a little blunt and obtuse. Although this is not an excuse to be a bully and treat vulnerable students the way they feel like.

Also when it is terribly busy, especially if it is a skill that you may need assistance with, they may feel as though doing it themselves is a lot quicker than allowing you or supervising you to do it, this should get better when you become more confident with the skill and can carry it out independently. That way you may even be able to ease their burden by doing so.

Unfortunately as annoying as it may be remember to remain super professional, respectful and friendly bearing in mind that they may be stressed and ask to get involved and offer to help out and make their lives easier. However, you should also consider bringing this up at first with your supervisor (the consultant in charge that is meant to be looking after you) he is responsible for you and your learning so this is the first thing you should do. try following the doctors around and telling them you would like to achieve this..... and would like to help them and learn in the process. They may be able to tell some of the nurses on your behalf about some of the procedures you want to do and they may themselves support you in practising these skills whilst they see patients who may require a cannula etc.

If bringing it up to the consultant isn't of any use then also bring this up to the medical school team, head of year or whoever is responsible for you and they would act upon it because the department and hospital are being paid to have you and for you to be trained so they have some responsibility towards you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (218)
56.19%
I don't have everything I need (170)
43.81%

Watched Threads