The Student Room Group

How can I convince my housemates to get a tumble dryer?

So since moving into a student accommodation house for our second year, we discovered we don’t have a tumble dryer.

Now I’ve never not had a tumble dryer. My other housemates have come from suburban places their whole lives whereas I’m from London so they aren’t as bothered about it as I am. One of my housemates has never even owned a tumble dryer in her whole life.

The problem is once you do laundry and hang it up on the rack it takes several days to dry which means it takes ages to do full loads of laundry and there’s 4 of us so you can imagine the traffic with using the washing machine. I have to say it’s driving me crazy, not only how long it takes to do a full set of laundry but also the amount of drying racks full of wet laundry around the house just looks and smells bad and is depressing. Not to mention people always using my dryer so I can’t hang my clothes up when they’re soaking wet.

I took the initiative and emailed the owner asking if it would be ok if we got one and he replied it would but it can’t be a vented one. I brought it up with the house and they said we could try find a second hand one but I did my research and none of them delivered. I finally found a suitable one even thought it was quite expensive it would amount to £40-50 from each one of us which I don’t think is too bad given what we’re getting. They weren’t too keen on hearing it would be £40+ but we’re just not gonna find a cheaper one. They just started saying “we’ll think about it” and “there’s no rush” so I don’t think they’re keen on getting one which I find crazy as I feel like it’s such an essential machine.

I’ve even gone as far as to consider just buying it myself which is so annoying because for one, it’s pricey for one person to buy and it and two obviously the household would end up using it as well which would make me even more annoyed as they hadn’t paid for it. So what should I do and how can I convince them? I mean it would be crazy and unfair if i just paid for it myself right?

Scroll to see replies

Lol I suggested this too no one wanted one but would moan about how long it took to dry. Some people are just morons.
You could always reduce the price for the others, even tho you'll pay more, at least you won't have to buy the whole thing by yourself.
I wouldn't buy it yourself and then allow the others to use it if they haven't chipped in because it is an expensive buy and will contribute to your electricity bills too. It will also be awkward if you say no to them. If they don't want to chip in just go to a laundrette. Assuming you won't be living in this place long term, it will be cheaper in the short term I guess.
What about something like a dehumidifyer? That would take up less space, and still be able to dry your clothes :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
So since moving into a student accommodation house for our second year, we discovered we don’t have a tumble dryer.

Now I’ve never not had a tumble dryer. My other housemates have come from suburban places their whole lives whereas I’m from London so they aren’t as bothered about it as I am. One of my housemates has never even owned a tumble dryer in her whole life.

The problem is once you do laundry and hang it up on the rack it takes several days to dry which means it takes ages to do full loads of laundry and there’s 4 of us so you can imagine the traffic with using the washing machine. I have to say it’s driving me crazy, not only how long it takes to do a full set of laundry but also the amount of drying racks full of wet laundry around the house just looks and smells bad and is depressing. Not to mention people always using my dryer so I can’t hang my clothes up when they’re soaking wet.

I took the initiative and emailed the owner asking if it would be ok if we got one and he replied it would but it can’t be a vented one. I brought it up with the house and they said we could try find a second hand one but I did my research and none of them delivered. I finally found a suitable one even thought it was quite expensive it would amount to £40-50 from each one of us which I don’t think is too bad given what we’re getting. They weren’t too keen on hearing it would be £40+ but we’re just not gonna find a cheaper one. They just started saying “we’ll think about it” and “there’s no rush” so I don’t think they’re keen on getting one which I find crazy as I feel like it’s such an essential machine.

I’ve even gone as far as to consider just buying it myself which is so annoying because for one, it’s pricey for one person to buy and it and two obviously the household would end up using it as well which would make me even more annoyed as they hadn’t paid for it. So what should I do and how can I convince them? I mean it would be crazy and unfair if i just paid for it myself right?

Hiya!

I had the same issue last year with my housemates. However, we spoke to our landlord and said that with the amount of washing being done with the 8 of us students living in the house it could result in causing mould in the property and that a tumble dryer would help achieve this problem. We ended up paying 50/50 with our landlord and were very appreciative of him for this! So definitely try to speak to your landlord again and see if they are willing to help as at the end of the day it is their property and they should want to help you all out.

If your housemates don't want to chip in and are really against it then I would look into getting a heated clothes horse/dryer for yourself to use. I have one of these and its amazing for drying clothes a lot quicker than a standard clothes horse! Purchasing a tumble dryer on your own is so expensive and wouldn't be worth it for the year!

Hope this helps. Sam- Official Student Rep :smile:

I personally wouldn't want to spend £50 on a tumble dryer as a student for only a year or two. What would happen to the dryer when you left? Who takes it home, or would it be left there? I'm on the side of your flatmates, sorry. A tumble dryer is a luxury, it isn't an essential.

Keep your airer in your room so others can't use it. I got a very slim one I stored in the gap between the wall and my wardrobe. You could get a dehumidifier for your room to help with the drying process.

On another note, clothes shouldn't be "soaking" when they come out the washer. This suggests that something is wrong with the spin cycle on the machine, might be worth checking that out. Clothes should be wet (obviously) but not soaking.

Would your landlord be willing to replace the washer with a washer/dryer?
Reply 7

Get a heated clothes airer.

Much lower initial cost, lower running costs, folds away when not in use, can use it as a normal airer on hot days... Makes far more sense.
I agree. As a homeowner I have a tumble drier as damp matters to me. I wouldn't go for a tumble drier in your situation - they cost a bomb to run and only have half the capacity of a decent sized washing machine so you are still going to have damp stuff draped anyway.
I would agree that a heated drier is better for you. Then you can move it wherever you live in the future. The nes with bag things over are really fast as well. And if you buy one the landlord may require you to remove it at the end of the year which may cause issues.
Unfortunately a common feature of student housing is washing drying everywhere.
check on ebay to see if there’s any ones going second hand for cheap or put an ad up somewhere
Do a couple of extra spin cycles at the end of the wash - it makes a difference to how quickly washing dries
Reply 12
I have never had a tumble dryer and never would, they aren't necessary.

If your clothes are soaking then you need to make sure the washing machine is working right.

As someone suggested before get a dehumidifier, they are cheap and can be used all the time to reduce humidity.

Even without it my clothes only took a day to dry after washing, noy days.

I think we are all pretty much with your housemates here, why should they spend £50 on something only you want?
(edited 3 years ago)

As you are the only one who wants one, then it would seem silly to make other people to pay for it.
What about the extra running costs?
You can charge them to use it and they can charge you rental space for placing it in the kitchen.
As you say you are from London and they are mere suburbanites, who would recognise essential sophistication if it knocked on the front door. The horror.
Do you already have a dishwasher?
Update : After talking to my mum and my house mates I’ve decided there’s no point, especially if it was a condenser dryer as theyre a lot less effective . But I will buy a heated electric dryer thanks to everyone’s suggestions. I didn’t mean to sound like a brat or elitist in comparison to my house mates, obviously they’re my closest friends and I’d never look down on them and I do understand why they wouldn’t want to spend the money.
coin-op laundrettes have awesome dryers... if you live anywhere near one of those.

I think most walk in customers are drying only these days (landlords didn't provide washing machines or the plumbing for washing machines back in my day)

Say to them if they say no say “sush you schmucks ringside is delivering a tumble dryer”
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
I wouldn’t waste money on it. As annoying as it is to air dry clothes, if you buy it all out, everyone is going to use it and abuse it. If you all put money in for it, then when you go to leave then what happens to the tumble dryer? You either leave it behind or there’s arguments over it.
Reply 18
Original post by DrawTheLine
I personally wouldn't want to spend £50 on a tumble dryer as a student for only a year or two. What would happen to the dryer when you left? Who takes it home, or would it be left there? I'm on the side of your flatmates, sorry. A tumble dryer is a luxury, it isn't an essential.

Keep your airer in your room so others can't use it. I got a very slim one I stored in the gap between the wall and my wardrobe. You could get a dehumidifier for your room to help with the drying process.

On another note, clothes shouldn't be "soaking" when they come out the washer. This suggests that something is wrong with the spin cycle on the machine, might be worth checking that out. Clothes should be wet (obviously) but not soaking.

Would your landlord be willing to replace the washer with a washer/dryer?

works out to around 50p a week per person.

well worth it imo.

when i lived with parents i didn't have a dryer. they kept complaining about the cost. each person had their set day for washing and then it would hung out on the radiators and take several days to try. if you forgot your turn, you had to wait a week till it was your turn again as other people needed the drying space.

when i moved out, i bought a washing machine which had a dryer built in.

omg.. I could NEVER go back

Just couldn't do it.
Original post by ANM775
works out to around 50p a week per person.

well worth it imo.

when i lived with parents i didn't have a dryer. they kept complaining about the cost. each person had their set day for washing and then it would hung out on the radiators and take several days to try. if you forgot your turn, you had to wait a week till it was your turn again as other people needed the drying space.

when i moved out, i bought a washing machine which had a dryer built in.

omg.. I could NEVER go back

Just couldn't do it.

Who keeps the dryer at the end of the tenancy? Or is it left there? In my opinion, as nice as it is to have a tumble dryer, it isn't a necessity. Get a dehumidifier and/or a heated airer and you'll be fine. Yes a tumble dryer would be lovely however I think in the OP's situation it isn't needed and they have a few suitable alternatives.

Quick Reply

Latest