Why is UCL soo far ahead of Cambridge in... EVERY SINGLE RESEARCH/ACADEMIC RANKING?

Watch
tsrholicc
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
...despite having less academic staff than Cambridge? Does this mean a worse postgraduate experience at Cambridge? Are the best postgraduate applicants choosing UCL?

- UCL has received significantly more UK government funding than every other uni for the past 2 years for research purposes.
- It has even received much more COVID-19 related funding because of its research proposals.
- According to a ranking of universities produced by SCImago Research Group, UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in terms of total research output.
- According to a 10-year analysis released in July 2008 by ISI Web of Knowledge, UCL is the most-cited university of Europe.
- UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in the 2019/20 University Ranking by Academic Performance.
- UCL is ranked 2nd in Europe in the 2019 National Taiwan University Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.

Would you still consider applying to Cambridge?
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
we know you have a bone to pick with Oxbridge

please.
for once , tell me something I don't know
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tsrholicc)
...despite having less academic staff than Cambridge? Does this mean a worse postgraduate experience at Cambridge? Are the best postgraduate applicants choosing UCL?

- UCL has received significantly more UK government funding than every other uni for the past 2 years for research purposes.
- It has even received much more COVID-19 related funding because of its research proposals.
- According to a ranking of universities produced by SCImago Research Group, UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in terms of total research output.
- According to a 10-year analysis released in July 2008 by ISI Web of Knowledge, UCL is the most-cited university of Europe.
- UCL is ranked 1st in Europe in the 2019/20 University Ranking by Academic Performance.
- UCL is ranked 2nd in Europe in the 2019 National Taiwan University Performance Ranking of Scientific Papers for World Universities.

It's prettier?
ashtolga23
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cambridge still has an amazing reputation, world-class academics, and optimal teaching methods.

Plus as the user above said, it’s prettier haha.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
Heh the Butt huirt this person has with Oxbridge is hilarious.
tsrholicc
Rep:
?
(Original post by ashtolga23)
Cambridge still has an amazing reputation, world-class academics, and optimal teaching methods.

Plus as the user above said, it’s prettier haha.
This thread is about research quality and impact. The reputation was built on good academics in the past anyway and all that has changed now.

"World-class" lol even top 500 unis are considered "world-class"
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This thread is about research quality and impact. The reputation was built on good academics in the past anyway and all that has changed now.

"World-class" lol even top 500 unis are considered "world-class"
You asked why people would still apply to Cambridge, and my answer is that the quality of teaching doesn’t necessarily correlate to the amount of research a university does. This is all being said assuming your statistics aren’t bs.

What’s changed about Cambridge’s outstanding quality lmao?
Last edited by ashtolga23; 1 month ago
tsrholicc
Rep:
?
What’s changed about Cambridge’s outstanding quality lmao?
Nothing. It's just not keeping up with cutting-edge research.
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh really?
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm sorry the university isn't meeting your standards.
tsrholicc
Rep:
?
Oh really?
Yes that's exactly the research which isn't just unable to keep up with the #2 university (Oxford), but is far behind UCL consistently. Why? Cambridge has so many more academics. Can't they do any better?

(Original post by Tolgash)
I'm sorry the university isn't meeting your standards.
lmao
tbi_zlx
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes that's exactly the research which isn't just unable to keep up with the #2 university (Oxford), but is far behind UCL consistently. Why? Cambridge has so many more academics. Can't they do any better?

lmao
You do realise he tagged the research page right? How are they not keeping up with research, pray tell?
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No point worrying about the standing of a uni that you don't want to go to.
Ray3RE
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oh really?
That was pretty cool, how you made the condescending words link to a website that refutes his claim. TSR has really lowered my standards of excitement.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Not for Medicine.

According to the Guardian Cambridge is ranked 6th, and UCL ranked 18th.
ashtolga23
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's literally tons of new research 💀

Why do you have such a hard-on for UCL? I'm sorry that you seem to have been rejected by Cambridge but I think it's time to move on.
Tolgash
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
lmao
Oxford and Cambridge are quaking. Every member of those two universities is struggling to sleep at night and suffering from mental breakdowns because of you. Please, stop scaring and upsetting them! :lol:
Last edited by Tolgash; 1 month ago
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

lmao, calm down, i think this thread is more to convince yourself, but they are both good universities, time to move on, not the end of the world if you dont get into one uni over the other, especially when these two are internationally respected
Ray3RE
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's literally tons of new research 💀

Why do you have such a hard-on for UCL? I'm sorry that you seem to have been rejected by Cambridge but I think it's time to move on.
It's UCL's curves, both the U & the C are curvy, whereas Cambridge only has that C. The attraction to UCL was inevitable.

I find myself so funny.
*****deadness
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ray3RE)
It's UCL's curves, both the U & the C are curvy, whereas Cambridge only has that C. The attraction to UCL was inevitable.

I find myself so funny.
I've seen OP worshipping LSE too, and I think I see another pattern: an attention seeker's obsession with university names with all caps. Just give a good stare at that overhyped title
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (128)
28.32%
No - I have already returned home (61)
13.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (88)
19.47%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.42%

Watched Threads