The Student Room Group

Overwhelmed 1st Week

I'm one week in today and have just broken down. This isn't something I've done for years, I am really really hating the uni experience right now.

I'm far from home and missing family loads, but can't tell them because it would mess them up. I need to start a job this week to afford this life, whilst my flatmates are able to order takeaway every night and never clean up.
I am feeling very overwhelmed with studies too, as each professor seems to think that my entire free hours is spent doing just their work. I can't have fun because I am scared of the professors threats about falling behind.
I'm extremely tired, and COVID is spreading around my halls. I have an underlying health condition so this is really stressing me out too.

If anyone has advice, has felt like this, or knows someone who has felt like this please feel free to comment. If not it's still good to get this off my chest.
Hi, so sorry about what you’re going through, it sounds like it must be really overwhelming, especially having to deal with it in a new environment.
If you feel like you can’t speak to your family, have you tried speaking to any new friends that you’ve met at uni?I know many people also feel stressed & overwhelmed when just starting a new term so the chances are you’re not alone! And communicating your feelings to those around you can really help get a lot of your chest.
Alternatively, if your university has a support group like councillors etc i would advise speaking to them as they are trained to help students who are having problems adapting to a new environment .
In terms of the workload, I feel that you should always make time for yourself. It could be 30mins-1 hr but just taking some time out for hobbies, exercise or just general personal time can make a big difference in your mental and physical wellbeing.
All the best at University!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending