is state at room temperature a chemical or physical property

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
it's physical right
boiling point, melting point too

solubility in water and reaction with a metal (e.g. sodium) are both chemical properties.

am i wrong?
Maulrus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Heat (or temperature) only has an effect on the sub-atomic level, since sub-atomic particles have physical properties I would have to say that it's physical. It has a chemical effect sometimes, e.g. speeding up reaction rate. But this is all caused by the physical kinetic energy from the heat.

When you think about it all the sciences are stacked atop one another. All Biological processes have chemical (or physical) explanations, and all chemical processes have physical explanation.

Interesting question, thank you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Maulrus)
Heat (or temperature) only has an effect on the sub-atomic level, since sub-atomic particles have physical properties I would have to say that it's physical. It has a chemical effect sometimes, e.g. speeding up reaction rate. But this is all caused by the physical kinetic energy from the heat.

When you think about it all the sciences are stacked atop one another. All Biological processes have chemical (or physical) explanations, and all chemical processes have physical explanation.

Interesting question, thank you.
so does it matter? how do u determine what is physical and chemical property of something?
Maulrus
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
so does it matter? how do u determine what is physical and chemical property of something?
It is physical, however I don't think anyone will really care all that much how you categorise heat as it branches into all sciences.
Anonymous #1
It is physical, however I don't think anyone will really care all that much how you categorise heat as it branches into all sciences.
what about solubility in water and reaction with a metal. r those chemical properties? thanks
Maulrus
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
what about solubility in water and reaction with a metal. r those chemical properties? thanks
Generally; chemical. However, when you get to a sub-atomic level we once again see that it all comes down to physics: It is all to do with molecular and atomic attractions, which abide by the laws of physics.

You will find this is the case with virtually all chemical reactions, they have some sort of physical explanation.

Hope this helped.
Last edited by Maulrus; 3 months ago
Anonymous #1
Generally; chemical. However, when you get to a sub-atomic level we once again see that it all comes down to physics: It is all to do with molecular and atomic attractions, which abide by the laws of physics.

You will find this is the case with virtually all chemical reactions, they have some sort of physical explanation.

Hope this helped.
thank u

i don't think i need to know this for my alevel exams but i came across it in the textbook and i get anxious if i don't understand something so wanted to clarify
Maulrus
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thank u

i don't think i need to know this for my alevel exams but i came across it in the textbook and i get anxious if i don't understand something so wanted to clarify
I'm the same, that's why I know this stuff. Continue to explore outside of the syllabus in your free time and you will find that that kind of fascination serves you well. At least in my experience.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (349)
55.66%
I don't have everything I need (278)
44.34%

Watched Threads