Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Apparantly:
    'Origins
    The reason that the December 26th was known as 'Boxing Day' was the fact that many centuries ago, the Lord and Lady of the manor/castle/estate gathered together at the manor house, castle etc., the workers including those from the outlying fields, forests and streams, the day after Christmas Day and organised the distribution of the annual necessities, done according to the status of the worker and the size of the family.

Into boxes and barrels would go supplies of cloth spun by the spinsters, the cobblers leather goods, new tools and supplies of salt and spices. Also dried goods such as meat, fish, vegetables and some fruit and cereals grown on the estate for bread making. This the giving out of such boxes became "Boxing Day".'

We were taught at school that it was because the Church opened their 'poor boxes' up on the 26th and distributed the contents to the poor. They're certainly having such a 'ceromony' at our local church today...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    I think you should do the funky chicken dance.
    I would, but I'm not in a funky mood

ReputationRep:
    wow i managed to make an educational thread *beams*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    We were taught at school that it was because the Church opened their 'poor boxes' up on the 26th and distributed the contents to the poor. They're certainly having such a 'ceromony' at our local church today...
    Yeah, another website said that could be a possible reason too. Truth is, nobody knows for sure :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy)
    Ha! HA! See! Seeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I know it's something to do with rich people and servants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    wow i managed to make an educational thread *beams*
    so on this forum, that makes a grand total of ....

ReputationRep:
    Another question....Does America have boxing day?

(Original post by need_money)
    they copy everything form us so they probably do

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they do, at least it's not a bank holiday there.

ReputationRep:
    Because on Christmas day, everyone gets drunk and argues and throws stuff at each other. The next day, everyone wakes up hungover and still holds grudges, so the resident "old man" of the party (a grandad or old uncle) says something like "This tension won't do! In my day... *mumble grumble*... Let's get this sorted once and for all!" and everyone has a big proper fist fight. Hence: Boxing day.

This is the true definition, I got it from www.truedefinitions.com, so it must be, and you can't say otherwise, because I say so. Muah.

Merry Christmas everyone, behold my turkey.

its called boxing day because all the presents get boxed up to be thrown in the corner of a lil brats room to be forgot about for many years

ReputationRep:
    Boxing day this year isn't until tomorrow (27th) because today is a Sunday, so the bank holiday can't be until tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Because on Christmas day, everyone gets drunk and argues and throws stuff at each other. The next day, everyone wakes up hungover and still holds grudges, so the resident "old man" of the party (a grandad or old uncle) says something like "This tension won't do! In my day... *mumble grumble*... Let's get this sorted once and for all!" and everyone has a big proper fist fight. Hence: Boxing day.

This is the true definition, I got it from www.truedefinitions.com, so it must be, and you can't say otherwise, because I say so. Muah.

(Original post by Toy Soldier)

any need to repeat yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    any need to repeat yourself?
    I don't know, but as I'm not sure of what I'm repeating I'm going to say yes, there is need, and a lot of it.

(Original post by Toy Soldier)
    I don't know, but as I'm not sure of what I'm repeating I'm going to say yes, there is need, and a lot of it.
    you said the same thing 50 mins ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew2022)
    you said the same thing 50 mins ago
    I might be wrong, but I'm almost certain that before that post, I hadn't made a post - nor sat down infront of a computer at all - for over a week. I'm also fairly positive that 50 minutes before making that post I wasn't even in the house. But like I said, I might be wrong and having some sort of TSR post blackouts.

[edit] It *is* posted twice. ....... ...... WHAT the ****??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinykates)
    :confused: I want to LEARN!
    *punches tk on nose* :p:

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.