A few questions about philosophy interview at Cambridge

Watch
Zhaoji Xu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello I am a Chinese student applying to study philosophy at Cambridge. I am a public school student (not an international school, so there is little English help) and all my knowledge of philosophy is from reading after class. I wonder how much reading is required to do well in interviews (I am applying as open application), and if Cambridge tend to focus on any field in their questions. Any online resources recommended for philosophy guide? I am also wondering how will Cambridge carry out its at-interview tests this year, so if anyone can provide related information it will be fantastic.

Another small worry: will Cambridge reject me because my school is not recognized (in UCAS), though I have qualifications up to standard?

A lot of thanks.
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
We will not reject you because your school isn't listed at UCAS! There are too many schools worldwide for UCAS to recognise them all, so don't worry about that.

Interviewers will not just ask you what you know and what you've read but will most likely set you some philosophical questions to challenge you and to see whether you are able to attempt challenging philosophical problems. Again, you will not be expected to answer these correctly first time (there may not even be a correct answer). You may find these FAQs useful.

Finally, more details of the Philosophy at-interview assessment will be provided by your college in due course.
Zhaoji Xu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
We will not reject you because your school isn't listed at UCAS! There are too many schools worldwide for UCAS to recognise them all, so don't worry about that.

Interviewers will not just ask you what you know and what you've read but will most likely set you some philosophical questions to challenge you and to see whether you are able to attempt challenging philosophical problems. Again, you will not be expected to answer these correctly first time (there may not even be a correct answer). You may find these FAQs useful.

Finally, more details of the Philosophy at-interview assessment will be provided by your college in due course.
Thanks a lot! I have submitted my UCAS application to Churchill college.

I have one following question. I am now filling out my COPA. I read on the University website now all interviews are going remote this year. However, in COPA there is still a question to choose which place I prefer to be interviewed. Are interviews this year still divided between overseas and Cambridge? According to my knowledge overseas interviews are supervised by academic experts who do a wide range of subject interviews so that I may won't meet an interviewer specializing in my subject, and possibly not from Churchill either. Though I am now studying in China, I would still prefer to be interviewed by professionals from Churchill remotely.

I do find details on the overseas interview page implying there is a difference between choosing Cambridge and overseas locations. How do I apply to be interviewed "in the Cambridge interview period"?Name:  overseas interview.png
Views: 16
Size:  106.8 KB
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you say you would like to be interviewed 'in Cambridge' that means 'I would like to be interviewed by people from Churchill', even though you will be interviewed online
MarkYang
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey guy!!! I'm also a Chinese citizen and I'm going to apply to Churchill this year. It's glad to see you here. Good luck with your application
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (591)
34.02%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.45%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.98%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads