The Student Room Group

Easy high-ranking unis to get into

I'm an international student applying for 2021 Econ UG and my choices are mostly around the ranks of top 20 - 30 because my grades are around ABB-BBC for now.

I read somewhere that some high ranking unis such as Exeter, Royal Holloway, and Lancaster have high acceptance rates and I wanted to know if it's worth it for me to take my shot. Do these unis really accept easily or is it because only AAA students apply to them and the acceptance has gone high?

Also, for my current choices I've got Swansea, Essex,UEA, Cardiff so I would really appreciate any info regarding these unis as well.
Exeter is likely to require above the grades but would be worth trying as your aspirational choice. The same will apply for Lancaster. i suspect you will get offers from Swansea, Essex and maybe East Anglia and Cardiff. The major issue is that many universities require A level Maths for Economics usually at grade A. Those that dont usually have GCSE Maths requirements.
Reply 2
Original post by swanseajack1
Exeter is likely to require above the grades but would be worth trying as your aspirational choice. The same will apply for Lancaster. i suspect you will get offers from Swansea, Essex and maybe East Anglia and Cardiff. The major issue is that many universities require A level Maths for Economics usually at grade A. Those that dont usually have GCSE Maths requirements.

Yeah that's a pretty accurate choice list for me. At this point I'm just unsure that between Exeter and Southampton which one is easier to get accepted into.
Easy and high-ranking?
Bit of an oxymoron there - any Uni that is high-ranking is so because they are selective/competitive and not easy to get into.

If you mean 'totally acceptable Unis I can get into with my fairly middling grades' them look at Sussex, Liverpool, Cardiff, Oxford Brookes, Kent.
Im not too sure for your topic but Loughborough is quite high ranking on the League tables even though it is not a Russel Group worth checking it out :smile:
Original post by e1m1a1d1831
Yeah that's a pretty accurate choice list for me. At this point I'm just unsure that between Exeter and Southampton which one is easier to get accepted into.

They are probably fairly similar but I would try ucas offer rate calculator. The big issue is where would you prefer.
Reply 6
Original post by swanseajack1
They are probably fairly similar but I would try ucas offer rate calculator. The big issue is where would you prefer.

I've used the calculator and it gave me a chance of 90% for Southampton but a 10% rate for Exeter which is fairly odd.
Original post by e1m1a1d1831
I've used the calculator and it gave me a chance of 90% for Southampton but a 10% rate for Exeter which is fairly odd.

Looking at Exeter their normal offer is A*AA and the contextual offer is AAA so you are way below it and they require A level Maths grade B. Southampton are asking for AAB or ABB as a contextual offer and Maths grade B so you are far closer to the grades in Southampton and that explains te offer rate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending