aishm12
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi during lockdown i was messaged via instagram if i wanted to do Trading i researched and it said it was legal so i said ofcourse, i was told to download a few apps which i did until a large tranascation was made and my account was blocked. I rang my bank and was told my account is closed however i have not had a letter or anything. Its been a month since its all happened and ive read i may get a marker so please somone help me i dont know to do i havent told my parents.
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by aishm12)
Hi during lockdown i was messaged via instagram if i wanted to do Trading i researched and it said it was legal so i said ofcourse, i was told to download a few apps which i did until a large tranascation was made and my account was blocked. I rang my bank and was told my account is closed however i have not had a letter or anything. Its been a month since its all happened and ive read i may get a marker so please somone help me i dont know to do i havent told my parents.
Tell your parents.

If something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Sounds like you will have been slapped with a CIFAS marker.
aishm12
Rep:
?
I don't know how to. My parents are going to be disappointed and im not sure ill be able to. If we weren't in this lockdown i would never have accepted it.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't know how to. My parents are going to be disappointed and im not sure ill be able to. If we weren't in this lockdown i would never have accepted it.
It's done now. You need to live with the financial effects for 6 years.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given how many threads are made about this topic, Money & Finance could really do with a stickied thread on CIFAS markers, (how to avoid getting one in the first place and what to do if you get one).

BurstingBubbles, Jack22031994, chelseadagg3r - is this something you could look into?

I'm also really shocked how many parents seemingly never give their kids even the most basic guidance about how to avoid being a participant in fraud.

There is information and guidance about CIFAS markers on the CIFAS website.
cntrccntrp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it all goes to tits get a Monzo bank it'll save you for the next 6 years. surely did for me
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cntrccntrp)
If it all goes to tits get a Monzo bank it'll save you for the next 6 years. surely did for me
Monzo check CIFAS now.
Admit-One
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
Monzo check CIFAS now.
I guess they reached the tipping point of profitability for Volume of accounts vs Wait most of these accounts are a nightmare argh-
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I guess they reached the tipping point of profitability for Volume of accounts vs Wait most of these accounts are a nightmare argh-
:laugh: PRSOM
cntrccntrp
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Monzo check CIFAS now.
Damn i'm so lucky, wouldn't be at uni now without my baby Monzo. Actual life saver. To the OP I think Sterling might also have that same blind eye to it.
Dexter345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Well done mate you’ve landed yourself a 6 year cifas marker
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cntrccntrp)
Damn i'm so lucky, wouldn't be at uni now without my baby Monzo. Actual life saver. To the OP I think Sterling might also have that same blind eye to it.
Starling*

Same problem. Checks CIFAS.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Starling*

Same problem. Checks CIFAS.
Glad to see these places being more responsible now.
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You pretty much deserve what you got. Have fun not using a bank account for 6 years now.
Etomidate
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Given how many threads are made about this topic, Money & Finance could really do with a stickied thread on CIFAS markers, (how to avoid getting one in the first place and what to do if you get one).

BurstingBubbles, Jack22031994, chelseadagg3r - is this something you could look into?

I'm also really shocked how many parents seemingly never give their kids even the most basic guidance about how to avoid being a participant in fraud.

There does seem to be an epidemic of naive teenagers falling for ponzi schemes, money muling, and dodgy trading gurus. Problem is, the people falling for them are usually financially illiterate and aren't likely to be browsing a forum like this until they've fallen into the trap and end up making a thread like this.

Almost always, these threads read "someone messaged me on instagram with a way to make money now my account has been closed".

Definitely needs to be taught in schools.
Last edited by Etomidate; 1 month ago
aishm12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Etomidate)
There does seem to be an epidemic of naive teenagers falling for ponzi schemes, money muling, and dodgy trading gurus. Problem is, the people falling for them are usually financially illiterate and aren't likely to be browsing a forum like this until they've fallen into the trap and end up making a thread like this.

Almost always, these threads read "someone messaged me on instagram with a way to make money now my account has been closed".

Definitely needs to be taught in schools.
I actually didn't know it was a scam or anything until after it all had happened. I wish someone had told me from before but sadly didn't. I get it i made a mistake and have defintely learnt from it.
Jack22031994
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Good idea! I'll work on one at the weekend xD (I work for a bank so will be useful to go over it again!)
Last edited by Jack22031994; 1 month ago
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Im somewhat amazed (and its rather worrying) just how many people on here get these CIFAS markers.

I wonder if their is any data tracking the accessibility of social media to these things. I cant imagine ever giving my bank account details to anyone promising easy riches for no risk, yet almost weekly on TSR I see a thread like this.
bigdealfilms
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Just sent you a DM about this
dylgeo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s 100% what you deserve for doing AC money. So many people have spoken out saying it is fraud, yet you were stupid enough to still do it out of your own greed. Didn’t anyone teach you about things being too good to be true?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (128)
28.32%
No - I have already returned home (61)
13.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (88)
19.47%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (42)
9.29%
No - I live at home during term anyway (133)
29.42%

Watched Threads