This discussion is closed.
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Soooo a level computer science paper 1 was this morning....how y’all find it?
John1968
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
If anyone has done the OCR AS Paper 1, which topics did it cover, so what could we expect to come up next?
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did it. I was alright actually
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I think I got between somewhere around 100. I counted like 35-40 marks I might drop being fairly pesimistic. I doubt I will get an A* unfortunately but I thinkk I secured an A. Hopefully grade boundaries are low this year. 89/140 is the lowest it has been for an A on paper 1 and 95 the highest. Lets pray its like 87/140 this time lol.
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Anyone know how they are deciding grade boundaries. I heard that if you complete at least 25% of the exam you can be given a grade. Tempted to coincidentally have COVID symptoms next week lol.
konMan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Anyone know what the grade boundaries could be for A* per paper?
konMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did the paper today and I felt I did pretty well tbh. Barely had an attempt on the last two questions tho so missed out on around 20 marks but feel like the questions I did answer were mostly correct.
ważzer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Dunno what board you guys are doing but I did AQA and panicked so found it pretty tough even though I knew the content lol. Hopefully I can calm my nerves and bring it back in Paper 2.
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by ważzer)
Dunno what board you guys are doing but I did AQA and panicked so found it pretty tough even though I knew the content lol. Hopefully I can calm my nerves and bring it back in Paper 2.
Im doing OCR
konMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did AQA too. I struggled with the time and the Skeleton Code questions were just ughhhhhh
konMan
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Good luck in Paper 2!
John1968
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by blackugo)
Im doing OCR
What topics came up, and what can we expect for paper 2? I'm already forgetting it lol
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by John1968)
What topics came up, and what can we expect for paper 2? I'm already forgetting it lol
Paper 2 there is only 3 topics so just expect everything. Most of it is intuitive anyway

I did the A level not AS. Storage technologies didn't come up. Graphs and Data structures didn't really come up.No HTML or JavaScript thankfully lol because I didn't revise it well.

There was binary and boolean algebra as always a karnaugh map
Object oriented and procedural programming.
LMC and all the intstructions. Writing a program in LMC
There was stuff about switches and client-server peer-peer etc
Government and That regulatory act thing. I flopped that question because I forgot the name of the act lol.
A security threat question.
Databases and tables, drawing the one-to-many kind of diagrams, referential integrity etc.
Thats what I can remember for now.
Last edited by blackugo; 6 months ago
reebs123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by konMan)
I did AQA too. I struggled with the time and the Skeleton Code questions were just ughhhhhh
Samee I did AQA and struggled too! I couldn't even finish the last question and spent ages trying to do section B!
ważzer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by konMan)
(Original post by reebs123)
Samee I did AQA and struggled too! I couldn't even finish the last question and spent ages trying to do section B!
Which questions did you find hardest? Most of the programming wasn't a problem for me but that last question... yikes
Also the logic stuff was kinda tricky, and I'm pretty sure those vectors questions were a blinder...
bigfish06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Paper 2 there is only 3 topics so just expect everything. Most of it is intuitive anyway

I did the A level not AS. Storage technologies didn't come up. Graphs and Data structures didn't really come up.No HTML or JavaScript thankfully lol because I didn't revise it well.

There was binary and boolean algebra as always a karnaugh map
Object oriented and procedural programming.
LMC and all the intstructions. Writing a program in LMC
There was stuff about switches and client-server peer-peer etc
Government and That regulatory act thing. I flopped that question because I forgot the name of the act lol.
A security threat question.
Databases and tables, drawing the one-to-many kind of diagrams, referential integrity etc.
Thats what I can remember for now.
yeah, for the ERD question was it literally just [customer (one to many) bookings (many to one) room] ? It was 4 marks and there was a ton of space and somethings telling me i just did that wrong lol
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by bigfish06)
yeah, for the ERD question was it literally just [customer (one to many) bookings (many to one) room] ? It was 4 marks and there was a ton of space and somethings telling me i just did that wrong lol
A snap. I swear the question said a customer has many rooms and a room has many bookings. I did a one-to-many and one-to-many because I did a question just like that the day before on a past paper. I might be wrong but at the time seemed like the only correct answer.

Edit: It would make sense how you did it. I probably flopped it
I did something like this but without the variables
Im guessing you did something like this
bigfish06
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
A snap. I swear the question said a customer has many rooms and a room has many bookings. I did a one-to-many and one-to-many because I did a question just like that the day before on a past paper. I might be wrong but at the time seemed like the only correct answer.

Edit: It would make sense how you did it. I probably flopped it
I did something like this but without the variables
Im guessing you did something like this
i think you pasted the same image twice oop: but basically i did this
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 76
Size:  11.2 KB
I thought it was kind of the same as a 'student can enroll in many courses, so a course can have many enrolments' which i remember seeing in the textbook looked like this
Views: 68
Size:  95.6 KB
I'm worried I mightve rushed it and wrote 'customers' rather than 'customer' or something, because I read a while ago that writing an entity as a plural is theoretically incorrect, but it wasnt really related to OCR - oh well, either way we've defo got some marks for drawing out 3 tables and having relationships between them

edit: the more i think about this the more i doubt myself this sucks
Attached files
Last edited by bigfish06; 6 months ago
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by bigfish06)
i think you pasted the same image twice oop: but basically i did this
Views: 76
Size:  11.2 KB
I thought it was kind of the same as a 'student can enroll in many courses, so a course can have many enrolments' which i remember seeing in the textbook looked like this
Views: 68
Size:  95.6 KB
I'm worried I mightve rushed it and wrote 'customers' rather than 'customer' or something, because I read a while ago that writing an entity as a plural is theoretically incorrect, but it wasnt really related to OCR - oh well, either way we've defo got some marks for drawing out 3 tables and having relationships between them

edit: the more i think about this the more i doubt myself this sucks
Yeah whoops i put the same image twice by mistake. I can't remember the question. I think I did get it wrong but from the way the question was framed it made sense to me at the time. Heres a better example of what i meant.
Name:  Screenshot 2020-10-08 175750.png
Views: 87
Size:  65.1 KB
Attached files
blackugo
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
@bigfish06 Im really just hopin that I got all of the binary correct because that is normally easy marks.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (158)
43.05%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (54)
14.71%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (147)
40.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (8)
2.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed