The Student Room Group

OCR B (MEI) A Level Maths Paper 1 7 October 2020

Did anyone do this resit? What was the paper like?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did, I found it ok, some parts were difficult. Wbu, what questions did you struggle with ?
Most of em
i found it 50/50 like i struggled with the surfs question haha but got the mechanics stuff.
never even thought about practicing first principle so i just answered that with the differential
what did people get for the question if the particle was ever stationary i got no
Original post by eibmathsresit
i found it 50/50 like i struggled with the surfs question haha but got the mechanics stuff.
never even thought about practicing first principle so i just answered that with the differential
what did people get for the question if the particle was ever stationary i got no

i think i got no too if i remember correctly cos the discriminant was less than 0.
Reply 5
did anyone get the upper bound area of the tarmac using those rectangles ? I think i got 0.5-something
Reply 6
Original post by q.b
did anyone get the upper bound area of the tarmac using those rectangles ? I think i got 0.5-something

Yeah that was a really weird question, I got something like 4.3, their lower bound was 3 something so I assume upper bound would be higher? I really didn’t like that question
Reply 7
Did anyone get that the projectile doesn’t hit the wall? I got that it reaches a height of 6 something which is > 5m so it passes over...
Reply 8
Original post by Malaii
Did anyone get that the projectile doesn’t hit the wall? I got that it reaches a height of 6 something which is > 5m so it passes over...

Yh i got that
Reply 9
Original post by Malaii
Yeah that was a really weird question, I got something like 4.3, their lower bound was 3 something so I assume upper bound would be higher? I really didn’t like that question

I pretty sure the lower bound was like 0.3-ish so you probably got 0.43
Reply 10
Did anyone get the single point of inflection question ?
Reply 11
Original post by q.b

Oh yeah probably
Reply 12
Original post by q.b
Did anyone get the single point of inflection question ?

I found the stationary points (square root +- 1/3) but couldn’t find the point of inflection, is that when the second derivative = 0?
Reply 13
Original post by q.b

What was your method for the question?
Reply 14
Original post by Malaii
I found the stationary points (square root +- 1/3) but couldn’t find the point of inflection, is that when the second derivative = 0?

Yh i did the same and said point of inflection is where second derivative gradient =0 which wasn't on the stationary points
Reply 15
Original post by Malaii
What was your method for the question?

I think I just used the highest point for the first rectangle and then kept going down, wbu?
what did people get for the acceleration of the pulley
i think i got 0.43something for the upper bound
what did people get for volume i remember i got 20 something
Reply 18
Original post by q.b
I think I just used the highest point for the first rectangle and then kept going down, wbu?

Yeah I used the trapezium rule and ignored the first y value (so yeah I worked down).
Reply 19
Original post by eibmathsresit
what did people get for the acceleration of the pulley

I thought it asked to show that the acceleration was like 0.35 or something?

Quick Reply

Latest