Oxbridge medicine without additional maths qualification at gcse

Watch
Haydn_Moses
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a year 11 student in middle set for maths. I am on course to get a 9, but I have not taken additional maths because it is only available to the top set students, will this damage my Oxbridge application?
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's not likely to.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haydn_Moses)
I am a year 11 student in middle set for maths. I am on course to get a 9, but I have not taken additional maths because it is only available to the top set students, will this damage my Oxbridge application?
Why would it? I teach at a high performing selective school and we don't do it! We see it as a waste of time of GCSE is taught well
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Haydn_Moses)
Many Cambridge colleges require 3 science A Levels, so Maths or Physics + Biology and Chemistry. That's the only thing and what you describe in your Q has no relation to that.

Oxford has no such requirements.

Obviously you can't apply to both Oxford and Cambridge in the same year for undergrad medicine.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
It’s beneficial to have a strong gcse profile when applying for such a competitive course, but when applying there’s more looked at than your gcse profile. Universities understand how much students develop from gcse into a-level, they take that into account. Of course it would be beneficial to study further maths at gcse but it’s not going to hinder you so much. You’ve said you’re on track for a 9 so you probably would be well fit for additional maths. A passionate personal statement, good result in admission tests (UKCAT etc), good interview and great a-level profile will be just as important, if not more than not taking an additional maths gcse. I would definitely to suggest to do it though if the opportunity does arise, but it’s not defining of being accepted. Best of luck
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oxford only cares about number and proportion of A* or 8/9 grades at GCSE, not what subjects they are in. Cambridge has no GCSE requirements and does not use them that heavily when determining interview invites and offers.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Shouldn't make a difference to... anything really. Maybe if you wanted to do further maths A-level, but most medicine applicants don't do that and most people who do f.maths haven't done additional maths anyway!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (594)
33.98%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (727)
41.59%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (348)
19.91%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise