The Student Room Group

Maths IA Chi Squared help

I am currently doing the IB and working on my maths internal assessment. I have conducted a Chi squared independence test but my hand calculated chi squared calc value is different to the one on my GDC. Dose anyone know why this could possibly be?
Original post by rosiemoonlight
I am currently doing the IB and working on my maths internal assessment. I have conducted a Chi squared independence test but my hand calculated chi squared calc value is different to the one on my GDC. Dose anyone know why this could possibly be?

Post your working here - it's either a mistake or an input error
X^2 calc= (5-6.65)^2/6.65+ 〖(2-6.65)〗^2/6.65+〖(14-7.70)〗^2/7.70+〖(4-5.07)〗^2/5.07+ 〖(10-5.07)〗^2/5.07+〖(2-5.87)〗^2/5.87+〖(10-7.28)〗^2/7.28+〖(7-7.28)〗^2/7.28+〖(6-8.43)〗^3/8.43= 15.711
X^2 calc= (5-6.65)^2/6.65+ 〖(2-6.65)〗^2/6.65+〖(14-7.70)〗^2/7.70+〖(4-5.07)〗^2/5.07+ 〖(10-5.07)〗^2/5.07+〖(2-5.87)〗^2/5.87+〖(10-7.28)〗^2/7.28+〖(7-7.28)〗^2/7.28+〖(6-8.43)〗^3/8.43= 15.711

Sorry, took me a while as I was trying to attach as an image. the value I got on my GDC Was 18.118. My teacher did say there could be a small difference between the two values but I would need to research to work out why. I have had a look but cant find anything. perhaps something to do with precision.

Can you add the question so I can check it properly.
Reply 5

dear sir what is this is it the homewok are days.
Original post by 19AAkmal
dear sir what is this is it the homewok are days.

Sorry?
Original post by Muttley79
Can you add the question so I can check it properly.

I don't have a question as I its an exploration. I am happy to check it myself but there is a possibility that there is a small difference in the values. what do you think this would be cause by?
I don't have a question as I its an exploration. I am happy to check it myself but there is a possibility that there is a small difference in the values. what do you think this would be cause by?

So where did the 'observed' and 'expected' values come from? The two values are suspiciously far apart.
Sorry, took me a while as I was trying to attach as an image. the value I got on my GDC Was 18.118. My teacher did say there could be a small difference between the two values but I would need to research to work out why. I have had a look but cant find anything. perhaps something to do with precision.

I see you have written cubed on the last one - this is where you've gone wrong :smile:
I see you have written cubed on the last one - this is where you've gone wrong :smile:

Omg, Amazing! Thank you so much!!! Such a silly mistake!
Omg, Amazing! Thank you so much!!! Such a silly mistake!

Would you advise any other test to lengthen my IA and show ability? I have calculated spearmans rank and chi. Some others have taught themselves techniques to show mathematical engagement.
Would you advise any other test to lengthen my IA and show ability? I have calculated spearmans rank and chi. Some others have taught themselves techniques to show mathematical engagement.

Sorry I know nothing about the assessment objectives - I only teach A level.

What about product- moment correlation coefficient? Line of regression? A bit hard to recommend without knowing more about the data - is it made up ?
Sorry I know nothing about the assessment objectives - I only teach A level.

What about product- moment correlation coefficient? Line of regression? A bit hard to recommend without knowing more about the data - is it made up ?

I wanted to investigate whether hours of sleep required a night increases with age.
I wanted to investigate whether hours of sleep required a night increases with age.

because my graph is exponential I don't think it is advisable to do pearsons product moment. :smile:
because my graph is exponential I don't think it is advisable to do pearsons product moment. :smile:

Surely that sort of discussion could be included?

Pearson's product moment correlation coefficient can be used when both variables being studied are normally distributed....
I am not sure how to tell if my variables are normally distributed :smile:
Can I use spearmans to calculate the line of regression to predict future values or do I have to use persons for this?
Having done some further research perhaps I could calculate the maximum likelihood ratio Chi-square test. Although I would have to calculate the log likelihood, do you know anything about this?

Quick Reply

Latest