fardina
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am currently writing my personal statement and I chose criminology as my degree but apparently it is a limited subject, I am quite interested in subjects in law areas too but everyone is telling me not to study law, I don't know what to choose as my degree anymore, help
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
what do you mean criminology is a ‘limited subject’?

why is everyone telling you not to study law?

what about doing some kind of blended degree like law and criminology, PPL or PPE?
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fardina)
I am currently writing my personal statement and I chose criminology as my degree but apparently it is a limited subject, I am quite interested in subjects in law areas too but everyone is telling me not to study law, I don't know what to choose as my degree anymore, help
Law and Criminology are two separate, very different, disciplines. A lot might depend on what your career goal is.

To be honest, no-one here can tell you which subject will be the right one for you personally. You will need to provide more details, or ask more specific questions.
fardina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
what do you mean criminology is a ‘limited subject’?

why is everyone telling you not to study law?

what about doing some kind of blended degree like law and criminology, PPL or PPE?
So I was researching about criminology and some said that it is a useless degree because you don't have many options in terms of careers so I'm just scared that I won't have many options in the future. I don't know how much of that is true. As for law, a lot people say it is a hard degree and recommend not to study in it. I am currently looking at criminology and law, just to compare it with criminology and see what I like the best.
fardina
Rep:
?
(Original post by RV3112)
Law and Criminology are two separate, very different, disciplines. A lot might depend on what your career goal is.

To be honest, no-one here can tell you which subject will be the right one for you personally. You will need to provide more details, or ask more specific questions.
I don't really wanna know what I want to do in future but I am looking into crime and perhaps even law, but I don't really wanna study Law itself so I was thinking if Criminal law or criminology with law is a good degree?
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I don't really wanna know what I want to do in future but I am looking into crime and perhaps even law, but I don't really wanna study Law itself so I was thinking if Criminal law or criminology with law is a good degree?
What you want to do in the future is really the question you should be focusing on first.

You cannot have a career in law without studying law. It's true that you don't need to study law as your undergraduate degree, but if you wanted to become a criminal lawyer (solicitor or barrister), you will have to study and master all the core legal subjects eventually in order to qualify.

There are many different possible career directions within the criminal justice system, some popular examples of relevant areas of study are: law (lawyer), psychology (forensic psychologist), forensic science (crime scene investigation), medicine (forensic psychiatrist), social work, and many other forensic areas in the sciences. A criminology degree can provide a useful foundation for careers such as the police, prison offer, probation officer (requires some extra study), or some positions in the civil service. It's also worth noting that there are many graduate schemes which are available to any discipline.

The LLB "Criminal Law" degrees are usually very similar to a standard law degree, but with certain criminal justice elective modules made mandatory. Criminology with law is usually the reverse, a standard criminology syllabus with some law electives made mandatory.
fardina
Rep:
?
(Original post by RV3112)
What you want to do in the future is really the question you should be focusing on first.

You cannot have a career in law without studying law. It's true that you don't need to study law as your undergraduate degree, but if you wanted to become a criminal lawyer (solicitor or barrister), you will have to study and master all the core legal subjects eventually in order to qualify.

There are many different possible career directions within the criminal justice system, some popular examples of relevant areas of study are: law (lawyer), psychology (forensic psychologist), forensic science (crime scene investigation), medicine (forensic psychiatrist), social work, and many other forensic areas in the sciences. A criminology degree can provide a useful foundation for careers such as the police, prison offer, probation officer (requires some extra study), or some positions in the civil service. It's also worth noting that there are many graduate schemes which are available to any discipline.

The LLB "Criminal Law" degrees are usually very similar to a standard law degree, but with certain criminal justice elective modules made mandatory. Criminology with law is usually the reverse, a standard criminology syllabus with some law electives made mandatory.
Thank you, this really helped me. I think I wanna go into the law field rather than police officer and such. Do you think that I can get into the law sector with criminal law?
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
So I was researching about criminology and some said that it is a useless degree because you don't have many options in terms of careers so I'm just scared that I won't have many options in the future. I don't know how much of that is true. As for law, a lot people say it is a hard degree and recommend not to study in it. I am currently looking at criminology and law, just to compare it with criminology and see what I like the best.
how many options do you need? you just need a degree to get you to the career you want to go into.

my brother has a degree in political science and criminology and is one of the highest ranked persons in his field so i would never discount a criminology degree.

law is a hard degree. apparently the hardest to get a first in. but employers look at your entire CV and application - not just the degree. i love studying law cuz it interests me but personally would’ve done an easier degree in hindsight. you don’t need a law degree to be a solicitor or barrister, so think a joint degree might be a good opinion to look into. btw recent employer had a degree in geography so wouldn’t limit your opinions.
fardina
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
how many options do you need? you just need a degree to get you to the career you want to go into.

my brother has a degree in political science and criminology and is one of the highest ranked persons in his field so i would never discount a criminology degree.

law is a hard degree. apparently the hardest to get a first in. but employers look at your entire CV and application - not just the degree. i love studying law cuz it interests me but personally would’ve done an easier degree in hindsight. you don’t need a law degree to be a solicitor or barrister, so think a joint degree might be a good opinion to look into. btw recent employer had a degree in geography so wouldn’t limit your opinions.
Since you have mentioned I don't have to get a law degree, do you think I can get into the law field with Criminal law/criminology with law degree?
npic9
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if you wanted to become a solicitor or barrister you can take the GDL after the criminology degree, so don’t think that criminology is worthless. I will add that, Law at university is easy to get into but hard to get a 2:1 or a first so you need to have a good work ethic
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Since you have mentioned I don't have to get a law degree, do you think I can get into the law field with Criminal law/criminology with law degree?
It's not impossible but criminology is a bit specific - what if you wanted to work in a completerly different area of law but it looked from your degree like criminal law was all that interested you?

If you want a course that is more general I suggest looking into sociology as that would include aspects of criminology but not be a whole degree just on that one subject. It is also considered an easier subject than Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (54)
29.51%
No - I have already returned home (23)
12.57%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (42)
22.95%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (16)
8.74%
No - I live at home during term anyway (48)
26.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed