mayasupportBLM
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi im in yr9 and im about to take my option's! i wanna do textiles but im unsure about the courses,are they hard and thismight sound dumb but could i lik them too media?
Thank youuuu))
Zuzanna_10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mayasupportBLM)
hi im in yr9 and im about to take my option's! i wanna do textiles but im unsure about the courses,are they hard and thismight sound dumb but could i lik them too media?
Thank youuuu))
Hey, when I was in year 9 I was also confused about what I wanted to do, I chose textiles because I really enjoyed it in year 9. In year 10 you mainly focus on working through coursework (sketchbooks, experiments, themes, Assessment Objectives in the sketchbook). We had one starting sketchbook and project with a theme the teacher picked for us (unfortunately I can't remember the theme). And a sketchbook which we picked a theme for ourselves, we had options such as scales, elements etc. and we had to pick one. At the end of the sketchbook we had a practice exam (which was completely useless to us since the exam board cancelled the exam due to Covid-19 but your year might still have one), you have 10 hours to design, work on a mannequin and create a piece of clothing. Which is what a textiles exam looks like. Now, in year 11 we have another sketchbook with a jungle theme, and I absolutely love it. You need be prepared to sacrifice some time at home ( I would say 1-3 hours a week) to work on your sketchbooks looking through the Assessment objectives - which I'm sure you can find on the internet or ask your teacher for.
But you have to remember that if you really enjoy textiles, which you don't need to be necessarily good at drawing for, you should go for it! Also, I would say don't stress about it too much (I know it can be difficult ) about what subjects you pick because until A levels you will most likely change your mind (multiple times haha) and you can do A level textiles or any other subjects without doing it for your GCSEs.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to send any. Take Care
mayasupportBLM
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Zuzanna_10)
Hey, when I was in year 9 I was also confused about what I wanted to do, I chose textiles because I really enjoyed it in year 9. In year 10 you mainly focus on working through coursework (sketchbooks, experiments, themes, Assessment Objectives in the sketchbook). We had one starting sketchbook and project with a theme the teacher picked for us (unfortunately I can't remember the theme). And a sketchbook which we picked a theme for ourselves, we had options such as scales, elements etc. and we had to pick one. At the end of the sketchbook we had a practice exam (which was completely useless to us since the exam board cancelled the exam due to Covid-19 but your year might still have one), you have 10 hours to design, work on a mannequin and create a piece of clothing. Which is what a textiles exam looks like. Now, in year 11 we have another sketchbook with a jungle theme, and I absolutely love it. You need be prepared to sacrifice some time at home ( I would say 1-3 hours a week) to work on your sketchbooks looking through the Assessment objectives - which I'm sure you can find on the internet or ask your teacher for.
But you have to remember that if you really enjoy textiles, which you don't need to be necessarily good at drawing for, you should go for it! Also, I would say don't stress about it too much (I know it can be difficult ) about what subjects you pick because until A levels you will most likely change your mind (multiple times haha) and you can do A level textiles or any other subjects without doing it for your GCSEs.

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions feel free to send any. Take Care
heya,thank you so much hun honestly its helped alot.This is my first time on this website and your the first person who has helped me so thanksss but anyways um i have been looking at like textiles gcse coursework vids on youtube and they have also helped alot. I will also keep in mind too not stress(im really tryingggg lol)and too ask you if i need help with anything else!Take care
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (36)
17.06%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (62)
29.38%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (82)
38.86%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (26)
12.32%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (5)
2.37%

Watched Threads