is working 40 hours a week too much for uni?

Watch
Loreto2018
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I've applied to work at an amazon warehouse and I have an interview coming up. However, I just read the job description and realised that it requires me to work 40 hours a week for 4 days. Is this way too much for a 2nd year uni student? I feel like it could jeopardize my uni work but at the same time I really need the experience for my CV. Any advice? Thanks
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you lack the common sense to know that's too much, you wasn't going to pass university anyways.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Loreto2018)
So I've applied to work at an amazon warehouse and I have an interview coming up. However, I just read the job description and realised that it requires me to work 40 hours a week for 4 days. Is this way too much for a 2nd year uni student? I feel like it could jeopardize my uni work but at the same time I really need the experience for my CV. Any advice? Thanks
you'll be walking dead on your feet with just that job by itself let alone a full time uni course ontop of it..
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes its far too much.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What type of course are you doing and what is the workload like?
If there are no clashes with your timetable and two days involve working weekends, it could be okay.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by londonmyst)
If there are no clashes with your timetable and two days involve working weekends, it could be okay.
https://www.theguardian.com/business...ff-like-robots
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
I'm doing Biomedical Science and there's quite a lot of exams, essays and deadlines. I literally can't get a job anywhere else without experience especially during Covid and my CV is lacking. I know it may be a bit too much but I really feel like i have no choice.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xarao)
If you lack the common sense to know that's too much, you wasn't going to pass university anyways.
Your point would be better with correct conjugation.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Don't do it. You will fail.
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by Xarao)
Obviously it's too much but i feel like i have no choice with zero experience on my CV and nobody else is hiring me
Xarao
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Your point would be better with correct conjugation.
Your point would be better if you wasn't a 40 year old man on a student forum.
Obviously it's too much but i feel like i have no choice with zero experience on my CV and nobody else is hiring me
If you REALLY need a job, go for it. But honestly, it's way too much especially for someone with no experience. All I can say is, definitely keep applying to others and just see how it is.
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Don't do it. You will fail.
It's only a fixed term temporary contract so I could leave after a month if I feel like it's too much. I'm only doing it for my CV.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm doing Biomedical Science and there's quite a lot of exams, essays and deadlines. I literally can't get a job anywhere else without experience especially during Covid and my CV is lacking. I know it may be a bit too much but I really feel like i have no choice.
Have you thought about deferring for a year or switching to studying part time?
STEM courses are too demanding to be combined with employment of more than 20 hours a week during term time and not suitable alongside 10 hours of heavy lifting shifts several times a week.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Doesn't sound like the best idea to me.
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
STEM courses are too demanding to be combined with employment of more than 20 hours a week during term time and not suitable alongside 10 hours of heavy lifting shifts several times a week.
Not to mention Christmas is just around the corner.

To cope with the demand Amazon force all their staff to do 50 hours a week minimum over the period.

You don't do it. They sack you.
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
Yeah, I had a thought about it again. I might just withdraw my application then. I've been applying to so many jobs over the past year and i've not gotten anywhere....
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by ANM775)
Not to mention Christmas is just around the corner.

To cope with the demand Amazon force all their staff to do 50 hours a week minimum over the period.

You don't do it. They sack you.
But do you think I could work for a couple of weeks and then leave just so I can have something to talk about on my CV? Or does this just look even worse to employers?
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But do you think I could work for a couple of weeks and then leave just so I can have something to talk about on my CV? Or does this just look even worse to employers?
something is always better than nothing,
you could just lie and say it was a temp job or zero hour contract

but i honestly wouldn't stay over 2/3 weeks or your uni work will suffer too much..
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This would just make you look bad, surely? Like you couldn't even hold a job down for more than 2 weeks
Loreto2018
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
This would just make you look bad, surely? Like you couldn't even hold a job down for more than 2 weeks
I have heard that a few people who worked at amazon switched their roles to part time to about 20 hours, they just asked at the interview and they were offered the role. So might just do that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise