Are these 5 unis for law good/respectable?

Watch
Bigman02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Ive lived in London my whole life but kinda wanna move for uni so majority of my choices are out of London. My 5 choices are Queen Mary, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leicester. Are these 5 good/respected for law? Additionally what's the nightlife/parties like? What's the best for that out of these? Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Bigman02; 8 months ago
Supermature
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Bigman02)
Ive lived in London my whole life but kinda wanna move for uni so majority of my choices are out of London. My 5 choices are Queen Mary, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Leicester. Are these 5 good/respected for law? Additionally what's the nightlife/parties like? What's the best for that out of these? Thanks a lot.
The other thread you started became a bit convoluted so let's keep this simple.

So you actually want to get away from London? (I can't say I blame you.)

Yes, these are all very sound universities for Law. Do check that each of them will accept your BTEC qualification. Some universities are fussy about that. (Queen Mary and Liverpool accept BTEC at D/D*.)

As for partying, I hear that Newcastle has a good reputation. Perhaps someone from there would like to comment! I do know that it has a splendid campus and that it's a very friendly city. It's also a popular destination for independent school leavers - but don't let that put you off!
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Bigman02)
Depends on your grades.

Nightlife at all of them bar Leicester should be great, though keep in mind that there will probably be COVID-related restrictions this time next year.
Bigman02
Rep:
?
(Original post by Supermature)
The other thread you started became a bit convoluted so let's keep this simple.

So you actually want to get away from London? (I can't say I blame you.)

Yes, these are all very sound universities for Law. Do check that each of them will accept your BTEC qualification. Some universities are fussy about that. (Queen Mary and Liverpool accept BTEC at D/D*.)

As for partying, I hear that Newcastle has a good reputation. Perhaps someone from there would like to comment! I do know that it has a splendid campus and that it's a very friendly city. It's also a popular destination for independent school leavers - but don't let that put you off!
Thanks a lot for a great and detailed response! Yeah I've been in London my whole life and kinda wanna move out and see some other **** basically. Once again, thanks a lot.
chocobi
Badges: 12
Report 8 months ago
Ah, you're making me worried because I've lived in the North my whole life but applying to 2 London unis...
Is uni life in London bad?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by chocobi)
Ah, you're making me worried because I've lived in the North my whole life but applying to 2 London unis...
London unis do score lower for student satisfaction than most other unis.

There will be a combination of reasons for this - at places like UCL/LSE/Kings most of the cohort will have achieved A*AA or above for Law and will be very focused on achieving high grades to get into the most competitive firms. Also, a large percentage of the cohort will be International and less likely to be interested in drinking and partying. Also, the cost of going out is very expensive in London and lots of people do not live close to the uni - some will be staying in accommodation quite a long way out as central London is so expensive or even commuting from home.

If the social side of uni is very important to you, you would probably have a better time in a city uni outside of London, like Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham or Bristol.
chocobi
Badges: 12
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
London unis do score lower for student satisfaction than most other unis.

There will be a combination of reasons for this - at places like UCL/LSE/Kings most of the cohort will have achieved A*AA or above for Law and will be very focused on achieving high grades to get into the most competitive firms. Also, a large percentage of the cohort will be International and less likely to be interested in drinking and partying. Also, the cost of going out is very expensive in London and lots of people do not live close to the uni - some will be staying in accommodation quite a long way out as central London is so expensive or even commuting from home.

If the social side of uni is very important to you, you would probably have a better time in a city uni outside of London, like Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham or Bristol.
Hello! I'm not applying to law by the way. Most of the factors you've mentioned (apart from expensive rent) are fine with me since I'm not interested in partying and drinking anyway. The competitiveness may be stressful but I think being around like-minded academically focused people would be better in the long run... I suppose. International students seem scary though
Bigman02
Rep:
?
(Original post by chocobi)
To me it's just that I've been in London my whole life and wanna get out, I'm also very into drinking with mates and going out and heard the nightlife in some of these areas out of London are better, if you aren't into that (even if you are, London is a great city) I'm sure you'll love your time at uni in London.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (75)
37.31%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (22)
10.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.47%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (50)
24.88%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.44%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.96%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed