chinchika
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi everyone,

I am applying for PPE at Warwick, UCL and KCL and for Politics and Economics at LSE. My predicted grades are: A* in Maths, A in German and A in Economics.

In my personal statement I am mainly talking about Politics and Economics. The Philosophy section is not huge and I am basically sharing my views on "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Jonathan Wolff.

Do you think this would be an issue?
Also any thoughts on my uni choices ?
Can you recommend an insurance uni?
Am I in a good position?
Last edited by chinchika; 1 month ago
mflach
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by chinchika)
Hi everyone,

I am applying for PPE at Warwick, UCL and KCL and for Politics and Economics at LSE. My predicted grades are: A* in Maths, A in German and A in Economics.

In my personal statement I am mainly talking about Politics and Economics. The Philosophy section is not huge and I am basically sharing my views on "An Introduction to Political Philosophy" by Jonathan Wolff.

Do you think this would be an issue?
Also any thoughts on my uni choices ?
Can you recommend an insurance uni?
Am I in a good position?
Hi! fellow PPE applicant here, only we haven't applied to any of the same unis- I've applied to Oxford, Exeter, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool (anyone else applying to Exeter or Oxford hello) and am currently studying maths, economics and politics, all predicted A*s.
I think your mainly talking about politics and economics should be okay as long as you have some philosophy, as unis will understand that PPE isn't actually that common of a course and people will also be applying for combinations of the three.
Your uni choices seem good- I didn't apply for Warwick because it campus based and that's not for me but I know they're one of the best for PPE. also didn't apply for any of the London unis because I'm from London but I think your choices are solid and have good reps for PPE.
I would look at Liverpool as an insurance if you want somewhere fun and lively but still with a good reputation. furthermore, their average offer for PPE is ABB, so it would be quite a lot lower than your other choices and so a proper proper insurance.
Your grades are very good and your subjects are relevant, only issue that could maybe be argued is that there's not a 'proper' essay based subject (some recommend history) but even then you have economics which arguably counts and German can perhaps be linked to politics international relations etc.
Let me know any updates with your application and I hope you get in to your top choice!
chinchika
Rep:
?
(Original post by mflach)
Hi! fellow PPE applicant here, only we haven't applied to any of the same unis- I've applied to Oxford, Exeter, Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool (anyone else applying to Exeter or Oxford hello) and am currently studying maths, economics and politics, all predicted A*s.
I think your mainly talking about politics and economics should be okay as long as you have some philosophy, as unis will understand that PPE isn't actually that common of a course and people will also be applying for combinations of the three.
Your uni choices seem good- I didn't apply for Warwick because it campus based and that's not for me but I know they're one of the best for PPE. also didn't apply for any of the London unis because I'm from London but I think your choices are solid and have good reps for PPE.
I would look at Liverpool as an insurance if you want somewhere fun and lively but still with a good reputation. furthermore, their average offer for PPE is ABB, so it would be quite a lot lower than your other choices and so a proper proper insurance.
Your grades are very good and your subjects are relevant, only issue that could maybe be argued is that there's not a 'proper' essay based subject (some recommend history) but even then you have economics which arguably counts and German can perhaps be linked to politics international relations etc.
Let me know any updates with your application and I hope you get in to your top choice!
Hello! Thank you and good luck!Do you mind me asking when did you apply? I presume you submitted your application quite early as Oxford is one of your choices.
mflach
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hello! Thank you and good luck!Do you mind me asking when did you apply? I presume you submitted your application quite early as Oxford is one of your choices.
Thanks! My UCAS was submitted on Sunday as my school set a deadline before the official date to submit, but so far only got an offer from Leeds.Have you submitted yours yet?
Gcsefailure7776
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Anyone got any personal statement advice? I'm struggling
Thanks!
chinchika
Rep:
?
(Original post by mflach)
Thanks! My UCAS was submitted on Sunday as my school set a deadline before the official date to submit, but so far only got an offer from Leeds.Have you submitted yours yet?
Nope, not yet ;( My personal statement is too long and I have to narrow it down a bit. I hope I will apply by the end of the next week.
mflach
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gcsefailure7776)
Anyone got any personal statement advice? I'm struggling
Thanks!
keep it current and relevant, depth is more important than breadth, show that you're not rigid in your view and can consider other opinions- makes you seem more desirable to teach
mflach
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope, not yet ;( My personal statement is too long and I have to narrow it down a bit. I hope I will apply by the end of the next week.
you've still got plenty of time to submit so good on you for already having the bulk of it done. I found with mine the easiest way to shorten it was to cut out first names of people I mentioned and then have less explanation with only analysis. I hope you manage to figure out what you can cut down!!
kieraxmc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Your situation is quite similar to mine. I too, am predicted A*AA, A* in Economics and As in both Maths and French. I'm planning on applying to PPE at Oxford and then EITHER KCL or Warwick (I'm undecided yet as both have same entry requirements but Warwick is a better university whereas KCL is the London life experience. I'm applying also to ESPS at UCL, Philosophy and Economics at LSE and PPE at Liverpool potentially as my insurance (ABB).I also talked about Political Philosophy in my personal statement, but in my case that's the only politics I really covered. I don't think that's an issue as universities know you're applying to other courses elsewhere and I also think most people do also naturally lean towards two of the three subjects so as long as you mention the subjects and why you like them it should be fine. That's what i did at least!
chinchika
Rep:
?
(Original post by kieraxmc)
Your situation is quite similar to mine. I too, am predicted A*AA, A* in Economics and As in both Maths and French. I'm planning on applying to PPE at Oxford and then EITHER KCL or Warwick (I'm undecided yet as both have same entry requirements but Warwick is a better university whereas KCL is the London life experience. I'm applying also to ESPS at UCL, Philosophy and Economics at LSE and PPE at Liverpool potentially as my insurance (ABB).I also talked about Political Philosophy in my personal statement, but in my case that's the only politics I really covered. I don't think that's an issue as universities know you're applying to other courses elsewhere and I also think most people do also naturally lean towards two of the three subjects so as long as you mention the subjects and why you like them it should be fine. That's what i did at least!
Thanks! Good luck with your application. When are you planning to submit?
kieraxmc
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thanks! Good luck with your application. When are you planning to submit?
I submitted on the 13th of October
Marty_003
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by kieraxmc)
Hi I'm applying to PPE at Oxford too. As well as at UCL, KCL, LSE and Manchester. I had to submit the application early on the 13th of October but haven't received offers from any of my 5. Have you had any offers?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.91%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (890)
42.75%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.88%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads