oufoufoufouf
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
hey, I was wondering whether anyone had any resources for either french or spanish a level/in? ideally like practice questions and grammar sorts of things, but I would love anything! I'm in year 10 but I am doing some work from the a level textbook in my French lessons (I also don't have the book at home) but not Spanish. I am trying to self study the a level content as I'm not really learning anything in class, in French in particular where me and 2 bilingual people sit at the back chatting in French the whole time! 😂 i would be very grateful if anyone had anything they could send me.
thanks in advance
username5378250
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by oufoufoufouf)
hey, I was wondering whether anyone had any resources for either french or spanish a level/in? ideally like practice questions and grammar sorts of things, but I would love anything! I'm in year 10 but I am doing some work from the a level textbook in my French lessons (I also don't have the book at home) but not Spanish. I am trying to self study the a level content as I'm not really learning anything in class, in French in particular where me and 2 bilingual people sit at the back chatting in French the whole time! 😂 i would be very grateful if anyone had anything they could send me.
thanks in advance
Bjr / hola :hello:

https://resources.eduqas.co.uk/Pages...bId=12&lvlId=1
This is a resource that I use for French, it has quite a few practice questions for the different themes in A level French. I'm not too sure about grammar, but you can have a look .

There are also some Memrise courses for A level French vocabulary, I'm sure you could find some Spanish there too. There's all sorts on Quizlet and Memrise for intermediate / advanced speakers, if you would like any links then feel free to ask.

If possible I would recommend buying the a level books, or mot à mot / palabra por palabra for vocabulary. I don't use them much but they're decent. If you can't then don't worry about it, just use as much as you can from the textbook during lesson and create resources from it, which you can use to look back over later.

There's an incredible user on here, Quick-use , who received full marks in some of his A level essays. He did both French and Spanish I believe, so he would be in a better position to advice you because my level in Spanish is slightly lower than my level in French . I'm going to try and find a document he posted on TSR with useful phrases for A level, it has helped me immensely and I'm so grateful for it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896

I hope this helps a little.
Last edited by username5378250; 11 months ago
oufoufoufouf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Roses & Dreams)
Bjr / hola :hello:

https://resources.eduqas.co.uk/Pages...bId=12&lvlId=1
This is a resource that I use for French, it has quite a few practice questions for the different themes in A level French. I'm not too sure about grammar, but you can have a look .

There are also some Memrise courses for A level French vocabulary, I'm sure you could find some Spanish there too. There's all sorts on Quizlet and Memrise for intermediate / advanced speakers, if you would like any links then feel free to ask.

If possible I would recommend buying the a level books, or mot à mot / palabra por palabra for vocabulary. I don't use them much but they're decent. If you can't then don't worry about it, just use as much as you can from the textbook during lesson and create resources from it, which you can use to look back over later.

There's an incredible user on here, Quick-use , who received full marks in some of his A level essays. He did both French and Spanish I believe, so he would be in a better position to advice you because my level in Spanish is slightly lower than my level in French . I'm going to try and find a document he posted on TSR with useful phrases for A level, it has helped me immensely and I'm so grateful for it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=2320896

thank you so much!
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Roses & Dreams)

Thank you, Roses & Dreams. You're honestly too kind. Definitely perked up my day! :hat2:

oufoufoufouf, let me know if there's anything specific I can help you with. I did the Scottish equivalent of English A levels and they're generally considered slightly harder than A2. It's also very true that I got full marks for every single piece of writing and speaking I did... I read a lot of random things and always noted down cool phrases from any reading passages or past papers that we did. I then made a document for a student who was actually the year below me (year 12) since I was tutoring him while I was in year 13... :lol: The documents can be found on my thread linked by Roses & Dreams.

Just make sure that you make the document your own - add to it. Moreover, you don't have to memorise or use every single phrase; I didn't do this whatsoever and I wouldn't recommend it. I just chose my favourite ones and always used them (which is what I would 100% recommend you do too). 9 years later and I still use my favourite phrases if I happen to do any writing in either of the languages. For reference, in Spanish some extremely impressive phrases are por añadidura (furthermore/in addition - very formal) and por ende (therefore - very formal). I also used ya que, puesto que and considerando que a lot. For French, the phrases are a little longer but I always used puisque. :rambo:

A small piece of advice I would give is avoid using 'because' - there are so many alternatives you could use. Another would be having nice structure to your essays or speaking: firstly; secondly or moreover; in conclusion etc. Make sure to use nice contrasting phrases as well like 'on the contrary' etc. Try not to rely too heavily on common phrases like 'because' or 'however'. Finally, always embellish your adjectives or verbs. Don't say that the countryside is boring; but, instead say that it lacks the joie de vivre you expect of metropolitan and cosmopolitan societies, and that although you appreciate the sense of tranquil or serene ambience (fancier word for atmosphere!) found within the countryside, it's not stimulating enough for a young person like yourself.

Oh, final piece of advice - lie a lot in your speaking and writing pieces. I know this sounds terrible but it's incredibly convenient to make things up that you already know the vocabulary for, than to constantly look things up on your dictionary. I would say things like I worked as a part-time football coach to help the local community in a village in France when this was not the case at all... It's only because I remembered the word for coach and knew a lot of vocabulary surrounding sports and teaching. :lol: Just be efficient with your vocabulary - if something asks you for your opinion on the environment but you can't think of anything, just state how tragic it is that contemporary society does not respect the environment and abuses all resources.
Last edited by Quick-use; 11 months ago
oufoufoufouf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)
Thank you, Roses & Dreams. You're honestly too kind. Definitely perked up my day! :hat2:

oufoufoufouf, let me know if there's anything specific I can help you with. I did the Scottish equivalent of English A levels and they're generally considered slightly harder than A2. It's also very true that I got full marks for every single piece of writing and speaking I did... I read a lot of random things and always noted down cool phrases from any reading passages or past papers that we did. I then made a document for a student who was actually the year below me (year 12) since I was tutoring him while I was in year 13... :lol: The documents can be found on my thread linked by Roses & Dreams.

Just make sure that you make the document your own - add to it. Moreover, you don't have to memorise or use every single phrase; I didn't do this whatsoever and I wouldn't recommend it. I just chose my favourite ones and always used them (which is what I would 100% recommend you do too). 9 years later and I still use my favourite phrases if I happen to do any writing in either of the languages. For reference, in Spanish some extremely impressive phrases are por añadidura (furthermore/in addition - very formal) and por ende (therefore - very formal). I also used ya que, puesto que and considerando que a lot. For French, the phrases are a little longer but I always used puisque. :rambo:

A small piece of advice I would give is avoid using 'because' - there are so many alternatives you could use. Another would be having nice structure to your essays or speaking: firstly; secondly or moreover; in conclusion etc. Make sure to use nice contrasting phrases as well like 'on the contrary' etc. Try not to rely too heavily on common phrases like 'because' or 'however'. Finally, always embellish your adjectives or verbs. Don't say that the countryside is boring; but, instead say that it lacks the joie de vivre you expect of metropolitan and cosmopolitan societies, and that although you appreciate the sense of tranquil or serene ambience (fancier word for atmosphere!) found within the countryside, it's not stimulating enough for a young person like yourself.

Oh, final piece of advice - lie a lot in your speaking and writing pieces. I know this sounds terrible but it's incredibly convenient to make things up that you already know the vocabulary for, than to constantly look things up on your dictionary. I would say things like I worked as a part-time football coach to help the local community in a village in France when this was not the case at all... It's only because I remembered the word for coach and knew a lot of vocabulary surrounding sports and teaching. :lol: Just be efficient with your vocabulary - if something asks you for your opinion on the environment but you can't think of anything, just state how tragic it is that contemporary society does not respect the environment and abuses all resources.
thank you so much!
oufoufoufouf
Rep:
?
(Original post by Quick-use)

hey, do you think you could possibly quickly check this? Name:  image-358f06fe-1dad-4af5-af77-529338000d607107032967531489433-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Views: 28
Size:  49.1 KB thanks in advance!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (19)
14.84%
I need help researching courses (8)
6.25%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.47%
I need help with my personal statement (48)
37.5%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (33)
25.78%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.34%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed