Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So imma be off to university next year hopefully studying medicine and the laptop I have now Is a hp stream but storage is RLLY bad. Anyone have any good laptop recommendations, preferably Lenovo or HP, that’s good with storage and budget of up to £500?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Honestly if it's only storage space that is a problem I'd suggest just getting an external hard drive, it's a lot cheaper than getting a new laptop (you can easily get a 2TB external for under £100...maybe even under £50).
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Honestly if it's only storage space that is a problem I'd suggest just getting an external hard drive, it's a lot cheaper than getting a new laptop (you can easily get a 2TB external for under £100...maybe even under £50).
no the laptop keys aren’t working either. I need to get a new laptop that’s why, so any recommendations??
MadameRazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
i never save any uni work onto my actual laptop, it’s all on a memory stick. whichever laptop you buy i suggest doing something similar to avoid storage filling up and slowing your laptop down
username5383500
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So imma be off to university next year hopefully studying medicine and the laptop I have now Is a hp stream but storage is RLLY bad. Anyone have any good laptop recommendations, preferably Lenovo or HP, that’s good with storage and budget of up to £500?
Stream machines are pretty bad, they have poor specs and low storage on the assumption you'll be storing everything in the cloud.

Is that budget of £500 fixed? This Lenovo IdeaPad is £530 (you might be able to get student discount to bring that down) and is the sort of thing we'd typically recommend to students. It'll be a substantial improvement over the stream, and will have decent enough specs to get you through your degree. £500-600 is really the sweet spot for good, long lasting laptops although COVID has caused prices to go up and availability to drop. The IdeaPad I linked typically goes out of stock, and my next go to laptop (Dell Inspiron) is £50 more expensive.

That said, we generally say to wait unless you need the laptop right now. It rarely makes a lot of sense to buy a laptop a year in advance unless you're also going to use it now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (55)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (101)
11.17%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (97)
10.73%
Lack of purpose or motivation (112)
12.39%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (44)
4.87%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (49)
5.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (100)
11.06%
Financial worries (62)
6.86%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (41)
4.54%
Exposure to negative news/social media (56)
6.19%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (26)
2.88%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (87)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (74)
8.19%

Watched Threads