The Student Room Group

Alternative doctoral loans

Sadly, I was rejected by the Student Finance Loan Company, only 3 weeks before the start of my PhD. I am currently unemployed, which makes the situation even harder. I have been researching alternative doctoral loans and came across many that have ridiculous interest fees (e.g. Future Finance). I am now looking into personal/ student loans from different banks, as well as charities/ trusts (though the pandemic forced many of them to suspend their activities).

I would appreciate any suggestions on alternative loans that would cover at least the first 2 years of my PhD (approx. £10000), as they seem very difficult to find. Thank you!
Original post by I_B2020
Sadly, I was rejected by the Student Finance Loan Company, only 3 weeks before the start of my PhD. I am currently unemployed, which makes the situation even harder. I have been researching alternative doctoral loans and came across many that have ridiculous interest fees (e.g. Future Finance). I am now looking into personal/ student loans from different banks, as well as charities/ trusts (though the pandemic forced many of them to suspend their activities).

I would appreciate any suggestions on alternative loans that would cover at least the first 2 years of my PhD (approx. £10000), as they seem very difficult to find. Thank you!

Do you know why your were rejected by Student Finance?

Tbh, there aren't many options AT ALL for PhD students, so you may have to defer/suspend your studies until you have your finances in place. You could ask your supervisor if they have any advice regarding sources of funding, but many places are withdrawing funding recently rather than giving it out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending