Any difference between GCSEs and Scottish Highers

Watch
This discussion is closed.
tsp_uk
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Can someone explain if there are any differences, are the workloads the same etc...
Thank You!
trev
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think scottish highers are equivalent to AS/A levels.
kellywood_5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by trev)
I think scottish highers are equivalent to AS/A levels.
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Standard Grades are equivalent to GCSEs, then Highers and Advanced Highers are equivalent to AS and A levels.
magicalsausage
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by kellywood_5)
Yeah, that's what I thought as well. Standard Grades are equivalent to GCSEs, then Highers and Advanced Highers are equivalent to AS and A levels.
Well technically, yes. But in reality Highers are generally considered as more valuable than AS Levels (even get higher points from UCAS) and quite a few English universities acknowledge that Advanced Highers are harder than A-Levels.
kellywood_5
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by magicalsausage)
Well technically, yes. But in reality Highers are generally considered as more valuable than AS Levels (even get higher points from UCAS) and quite a few English universities acknowledge that Advanced Highers are harder than A-Levels.
Oh right, I didn't know that- never really looked at the UCAS Tarrif in detail, it's too confusing!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (162)
44.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (41)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (29)
7.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (76)
20.88%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.34%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
6.04%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise