The Student Room Group

Should I defer my OT Pre-reg? Asking for advice from people currently on the course

I am currently in Australia on a working holiday visa, and was really looking forward to coming home and starting my Occupational Therapy pre-reg at Leeds Beckett in January next year. However I'm looking at the current situation in the UK and am wondering what the course will actually look like. I am potentially able to get a third year working holiday visa, so I am tempted to defer, since there are so few cases of Covid in Australia at the moment.

Is anyone currently on the course, and if so, what is happening with your placements? Are they going ahead as normal? How are you finding the experience? I would be living on my own so I am wondering about the impact studying would have on my mental health if the course is mostly online. However I am 28 now and was hoping to get my studies underway so I can start working towards my dream of moving back to Australia permanently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm studying a BSc in Occupational Therapy, we are hopefully having placement in November (this should be PP2 but its actually PP1 delayed from last summer - PP2 will be next summer).

Uni is very different to how it was last year with most of it being distance learning.

I think you need to make your own decision but it won't be the same as it has been in previous years.

Also at 28 you have plenty of time to study and work once graduated.
Hey! I don't do OT but my friend does at Leeds Beckett - she's still going on placements however all of her lectures are online, hope that's helpful!
Original post by TheFailingNerd
Hey! I don't do OT but my friend does at Leeds Beckett - she's still going on placements however all of her lectures are online, hope that's helpful!

We (@ QMU) are still having placements but we have been warned they will be very different from pre-covid days.

Original post by tasha_b
I am currently in Australia on a working holiday visa, and was really looking forward to coming home and starting my Occupational Therapy pre-reg at Leeds Beckett in January next year. However I'm looking at the current situation in the UK and am wondering what the course will actually look like. I am potentially able to get a third year working holiday visa, so I am tempted to defer, since there are so few cases of Covid in Australia at the moment.

Is anyone currently on the course, and if so, what is happening with your placements? Are they going ahead as normal? How are you finding the experience? I would be living on my own so I am wondering about the impact studying would have on my mental health if the course is mostly online. However I am 28 now and was hoping to get my studies underway so I can start working towards my dream of moving back to Australia permanently. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I would say you need to decide what is best for you, the world might be over covid outbreaks by Jan 2022 but the world won't be back to normal by then (if it ever gets back to 'old' normal) so your best bet might be to not defer entry but that is dependant on if you can get back to the UK.

And as I said before 28 is no issue with age, especially with occupational therapy there are lots of mature students. I started my degree when I was 32 and I won't finish until I'm 36 (Scottish uni is 4 years).

We have had online classes and we are doing lots of online group work using whatsapp and zoom, you do feel a bit isolated but so is everybody else on the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending