AQA A Level Chemistry: Water of Crystallisation Required Practical

Watch
username5432344
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I officially hate required practical write ups...second required practical in
a row :/ hi guys, back again with a required practical question!

This time it's the water of crystallisation practical. The method is as follows:
1. Weigh a clean dry crucible and record its mass.
2. Put about 2 g of the dry crystals of hydrated magnesium sulphate into the crucible, reweigh, and record its mass.
3. Heat the crucible without its lid gently for about a minute and then a little stronger for a further five minutes. If necessary, use the crucible lid to prevent the solid spitting out. Turn down the Bunsen if spitting occurs.
4. Allow to cool and then reweigh.
5. Heat for a further two minutes, without the lid cool and reweigh. Continue heating and cooling until the last two masses are the same. This is called heating to constant mass. Record this final mass in your results table.
6. Complete your results table by calculating the exact mass of hydrated magnesium sulphate used, the mass of anhydrous magnesium sulphate left after heating, and the mass of water driven off.

The question is: Suggest two improvements to the experiment which would lead to a more accurate result. Explain each of your answers.

It's only worth two marks but I cannot think of anything to write for this...any possible solutions would be hugely appreciated
Partypopcorn
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Maybe when allow to cool, you could dab them in tissue to get rid of any excess?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (28)
9.62%
Okay (86)
29.55%
A bit lacking (105)
36.08%
Not good at all (72)
24.74%

Watched Threads