If I take LLB law and political science, would it be possible to

Watch
Nikitka
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Would it be possible to go with the second minor part of course ? In other words, would I be able to use the political science part of the course to go not into law but into a career connected to politics? In case I’d reconsider becoming a lawyer
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nikitka)
Would it be possible to go with the second minor part of course ? In other words, would I be able to use the political science part of the course to go not into law but into a career connected to politics? In case I’d reconsider becoming a lawyer
Wouldnt you be better off doing a joint degree if you wanted both options?
Not sure you require a degree for politics?
Of you got great grades and went to a v good uni then that would be more important.
Nikitka
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Wouldnt you be better off doing a joint degree if you wanted both options?
Not sure you require a degree for politics?
Of you got great grades and went to a v good uni then that would be more important.
Thanks for the answer and you don’t need a degree to become a politician, for that you just need to be a demagogue all right )). My question was basically about whether the minor addition to my main course - which is law, would be enough if I’d decide to go into a career connected to that minor
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nikitka)
Thanks for the answer and you don’t need a degree to become a politician, for that you just need to be a demagogue all right )). My question was basically about whether the minor addition to my main course - which is law, would be enough if I’d decide to go into a career connected to that minor
OK lets go back to this again. If you do a degree with another subject then the max content will be 33% as with a law degree, the politics aspect is likely to fill the space the law options would on a straight law degree.

Major or minor
So when you apply for a job and its got a political bent 1/3 of your degree is politics. How do you think that would fare against someone who has a 100% degree on politics?

Uni and degree class
You should also consider they may place as much or more weight on class of degree and uni.

Direct knowledge required?
In addition all jobs arent the same, so the extent you need direct knowledge from your degree may not be as great as you think plus Law is a good backup.

If you look here at possible degrees then I cant see why many of them wouldnt be open to someone with Law and politics. That said some that require direct political knowledge such as think tank might be different.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...egree/politics.
Look at the job adverts in the areas that interest you.

Hope that helps you understand more.
Nikitka
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
OK lets go back to this again. If you do a degree with another subject then the max content will be 33% as with a law degree, the politics aspect is likely to fill the space the law options would on a straight law degree.

Major or minor
So when you apply for a job and its got a political bent 1/3 of your degree is politics. How do you think that would fare against someone who has a 100% degree on politics?

Uni and degree class
You should also consider they may place as much or more weight on class of degree and uni.

Direct knowledge required?
In addition all jobs arent the same, so the extent you need direct knowledge from your degree may not be as great as you think plus Law is a good backup.

If you look here at possible degrees then I cant see why many of them wouldnt be open to someone with Law and politics. That said some that require direct political knowledge such as think tank might be different.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-...egree/politics.
Look at the job adverts in the areas that interest you.

Hope that helps you understand more.
Thanks you, that did help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (46)
31.29%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.93%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (30)
20.41%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.52%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25.85%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise