The Student Room Group

Dropping out of Uni in Year 3

Hi, I'm studying anthropology at uni and quite honestly I just went to Uni because at high school I felt like I needed to. I find anthropology interesting but I'm finding it kind of pretentious too and not sure that it will be any use to me. I go to a top uni so know it will look good on my CV but don't think that's a good enough reason to stay. I also find my course is one that is easy to glide through without putting in any real effort, and would rather do something that encourages me to work hard and be excited about what I'm studying.

If I dropped out, I would do a diploma in music business at a music school for a year and go on to study this further at college or university. This is something I am definitely passionate about and see myself having a career in. But is it stupid of me to leave university at this stage?

It's not that I'm struggling it's more that every time I do uni work I think to myself , this is just so not for me. Should I just stick it out for 2 more years? Has anyone else been in a similar situation and have any advice?

Thank you :smile:
I would stay for the last year, the fact that as you said it is easy to get through the course with out too much work is the exact reason to stay. You have already invested 2 years and spent a lot of money to get the degree. But it is up to you at the end of the day.

Just finish it so you can put it in your cv even if it is not as you say useful it is something and you have already invested so much into the degree.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I would stay for the last year, the fact that as you said it is easy to get through the course with out too much work is the exact reason to stay. You have already invested 2 years and spent a lot of money to get the degree. But it is up to you at the end of the day.

Just finish it so you can put it in your cv even if it is not as you say useful it is something and you have already invested so much into the degree.

Thank you! I agree, but the other half of me is like 2 years of my life doing something I have no passion for and feel miserable doing. 2 years to work my way up in something I'd enjoy... you're right though. Ah, much to think about haha. Thanks
Thank you! I agree, but the other half of me is like 2 years of my life doing something I have no passion for and feel miserable doing. 2 years to work my way up in something I'd enjoy... you're right though. Ah, much to think about haha. Thanks

I hope I helped :smile: you can Do it just try to push through and end with a good grade. You can do this! You already invested so much work and time, to make it worth it finish it on a good note. Try to have fun also I know it is hard to Do in a pandemic.

sis you didn't word urself properly. you are year 1 right? DROP THE F OUT !!! XD its not too late if ur year 1
sis you didn't word urself properly. you are year 1 right? DROP THE F OUT !!! XD its not too late if ur year 1

but im acc applying for uni so idk how helpful that is but i know 2 years doing something u dont wanna is a waste. u need others advice. u didn't state clearly ur year 1
If I dropped out, I would do a diploma in music business at a music school for a year and go on to study this further at college or university.

And what if you choose not to drop out? Would you still go on to study for the same diploma? Would you instead look for a job/further study related to your degree? Why/why not?

It sounds like you're worried about the 'sunk cost' of your degree so far. Often, economists and human factors experts talk about the 'sunk cost fallacy' - the fallacious psychological tendency to make a decision about future actions based on past costs, when in fact a cost which has already been incurred is irrelevant to decisions about the future. The 'lesson' is to disregard them, and take the best action for the future, irrespective of what the 'plan' might have previously been.

What you have to think about instead is what's in the future, and what your decision will do for the future. Sometimes this does require you to consider a 'sunk cost' (particularly where loans are involved), but often not to the degree we all do naturally. Consider carefully the future.

Would dropping out allow you to receive more student finance for your diploma? Perhaps having spent one fewer year in university will entitle you to a financial support for the diploma which you otherwise wouldn't get.

Would dropping out allow you to get into the career you want more quickly, and therefore spend more of your life doing what you enjoy doing?

Would dropping out save you money (watch out for the difference between what you borrow and what you actually pay back based on the wiping of student loans after 30 years - most people don't pay everything back, so don't default to borrowing less because you think it'll reduce your debt unless you know it will) in the long term?

Would having the degree open doors for you as a 'backup' in case you were unable to pursue a music career?

The answers to all of these questions - and many more besides - depend on your specific aspirations and your specific situation, and the decision you should make depends on their answers. There is no 'one size fits all' answer to whether you should or shouldn't drop out, so nobody on an internet forum can really answer that overarching question for you. Talk to your tutor. Talk to your friends/family. Consider, research, and calculate for yourself. In the end, you alone can decide - make sure you do so with your eyes open and a torch pointed down the road!

Good luck!
Reply 7
but im acc applying for uni so idk how helpful that is but i know 2 years doing something u dont wanna is a waste. u need others advice. u didn't state clearly ur year 1

nah I am at the start of year 3, hence 2 years left aha
nah I am at the start of year 3, hence 2 years left aha

oh its a 5 year course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending