Poll: Should this amendment be passed into the GD?
As many as are of the opinion, aye. (34)
82.93%
Of the contrary, no. (3)
7.32%
Abstain. (4)
9.76%
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
A242 – Procedure Codification Amendment
Proposed by: Saracen's Fez MP (Liberal Democrat)
Seconded by: 04MR17 MP (Citizen's), Andrew97 (Speaker), Rakas21 MP (Conservative)

This House would amend the Guidance Document as follows:—

(1) Remove the subsection 'Bill Procedure' from the section 'Bills'.

(2) Remove the following from the section 'Ministerial Reports', and adjust numbering accordingly:

2) A Ministerial Report can undergo a maximum of three readings:
2) (a) First reading – Six days (with an additional 48-hour extension if requested)
2) (b) Second reading – Four days (with an additional 24-hour extension if requested)
2) (c) Third reading – Three days

(3) Insert a new section 'Item Procedure' above the section 'Bills', as follows:

Item Procedure
1) This section covers the procedures for bills, motions, ministerial reports and amendments. The procedures for petitions and statements are given in those relevant sections.
2) A maximum of one government bill, one non-government bill, one motion, one ministerial report and one amendment per day may be published, excluding joke items.
3) Each item will be assigned a number, this number will continue throughout the bill from reading to voting, a bill under discussion will be denoted as Bxxx, a motion as Mxxx, a ministerial report as Rxxx and an amendment as Axxx.
4) Each item can undergo a maximum of 3 readings:
4) i) First reading – two days minimum, six days maximum (with an additional 48-hour extension if requested)
4) ii) Second reading – one day minimum, four days maximum (with an additional 24-hour extension if requested)
4) iii) Third reading – one day minimum, three days maximum
5) After each reading, the item is put into cessation for up to 7 days, unless the proposer has asked for it to go to a new reading or to vote.
6) An item can be withdrawn at any point. Once an item has been withdrawn it cannot be re-submitted, submitted for a further reading or sent to vote during the same term.
7) Joke items may not be sent to vote. Items are considered to be joke items if the Speaker rules them to be joke items, or if the proposer declares them to be joke items on initial submission.
8) Bills, motions and amendments may be sent to vote by the proposer at any point, provided the minimum time for the relevant reading has elapsed.
9) Ministerial reports may only be sent to vote during their cessation period, in line with the provisions in the relevant section.
10) Votes on all items last four days. Votes on bills, motions and ministerial reports are public, and count towards MP turnout for voting reviews. Votes on amendments are private, and do not count towards MP turnout.

(4) Insert the following in the section 'Ministerial Reports', after existing point 6):

7) The Leader of the Opposition may at any point during the debate or cessation period 'wave through' a ministerial report, and indicate that they do not wish to call a vote. They can do this by informing the Speaker, who will in turn inform the Government of this decision. The report may then pass without a vote at the start of its cessation period, or at the next update if the report is already in cessation, provided the Government confirm they are content for this to take place.

Notes
This moves the procedure section of the GD from a subsection of the Bills section to a new full section that explicitly extends to motions, MRs and amendments. It makes no actual changes to current practice, except:
– Removing the requirement to list items in Hansard as they are published (which doesn't happen anyway)
– Removing the right for proposers to move an item to cessation early (which has not been used for years)
– Clarifying the procedure on joke items, such that if a proposer wishes to maintain that an item is a joke, they are responsible for declaring this to the Speaker when submitting it
– Codifying the procedure for motions (the procedure for motions has in practice been the same as for bills, but this is now formally the case under the new arrangements)
– Allowing MRs to be 'waved through' by the Opposition and passed immediately rather than entering cessation.

04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Very happy to support this and I hope the rest of the house will too.
Gundabad(good)
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
A242 – Procedure Codification Amendment
Proposed by: Saracen's Fez MP (Liberal Democrat)
Seconded by: 04MR17 MP (Citizen's), Andrew97 (Speaker), Rakas21 MP (Conservative)

This House would amend the Guidance Document as follows:—

(1) Remove the subsection 'Bill Procedure' from the section 'Bills'.

(2) Remove the following from the section 'Ministerial Reports', and adjust numbering accordingly:

2) A Ministerial Report can undergo a maximum of three readings:
2) (a) First reading – Six days (with an additional 48-hour extension if requested)
2) (b) Second reading – Four days (with an additional 24-hour extension if requested)
2) (c) Third reading – Three days

(3) Insert a new section 'Item Procedure' above the section 'Bills', as follows:

Item Procedure
1) This section covers the procedures for bills, motions, ministerial reports and amendments. The procedures for petitions and statements are given in those relevant sections.
2) A maximum of one government bill, one non-government bill, one motion, one ministerial report and one amendment per day may be published, excluding joke items.
3) Each item will be assigned a number, this number will continue throughout the bill from reading to voting, a bill under discussion will be denoted as Bxxx, a motion as Mxxx, a ministerial report as Rxxx and an amendment as Axxx.
4) Each item can undergo a maximum of 3 readings:
4) i) First reading – two days minimum, six days maximum (with an additional 48-hour extension if requested)
4) ii) Second reading – one day minimum, four days maximum (with an additional 24-hour extension if requested)
4) iii) Third reading – one day minimum, three days maximum
5) After each reading, the item is put into cessation for up to 7 days, unless the proposer has asked for it to go to a new reading or to vote.
6) An item can be withdrawn at any point. Once an item has been withdrawn it cannot be re-submitted, submitted for a further reading or sent to vote during the same term.
7) Joke items may not be sent to vote. Items are considered to be joke items if the Speaker rules them to be joke items, or if the proposer declares them to be joke items on initial submission.
8) Bills, motions and amendments may be sent to vote by the proposer at any point, provided the minimum time for the relevant reading has elapsed.
9) Ministerial reports may only be sent to vote during their cessation period, in line with the provisions in the relevant section.
10) Votes on all items last four days. Votes on bills, motions and ministerial reports are public, and count towards MP turnout for voting reviews. Votes on amendments are private, and do not count towards MP turnout.

(4) Insert the following in the section 'Ministerial Reports', after existing point 6):

7) The Leader of the Opposition may at any point during the debate or cessation period 'wave through' a ministerial report, and indicate that they do not wish to call a vote. They can do this by informing the Speaker, who will in turn inform the Government of this decision. The report may then pass without a vote at the start of its cessation period, or at the next update if the report is already in cessation, provided the Government confirm they are content for this to take place.

Notes
This moves the procedure section of the GD from a subsection of the Bills section to a new full section that explicitly extends to motions, MRs and amendments. It makes no actual changes to current practice, except:
– Removing the requirement to list items in Hansard as they are published (which doesn't happen anyway)
– Removing the right for proposers to move an item to cessation early (which has not been used for years)
– Clarifying the procedure on joke items, such that if a proposer wishes to maintain that an item is a joke, they are responsible for declaring this to the Speaker when submitting it
– Codifying the procedure for motions (the procedure for motions has in practice been the same as for bills, but this is now formally the case under the new arrangements)
– Allowing MRs to be 'waved through' by the Opposition and passed immediately rather than entering cessation.

Aye.
Bailey14
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye.

Also happy to see the new Ministerial Report section to allow MRs to be waved through.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, this will be of benefit.
CountBrandenburg
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Voted
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye, this is sensible.
AditOTAKU666
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
A sensible bill... Aye
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I saw this at the top of the update tonight and didn't seem to recall seeing it or voting on it. Just as well I did because I hadn't noticed the vote I myself had requested had actually opened!
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Order, Order!

The Ayes to the right: 34
The Noes to the left: 3
Abstains: 4

The Ayes have it, The Ayes have it. Unlock!
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (64)
27.95%
No - I have already returned home (25)
10.92%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (50)
21.83%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (22)
9.61%
No - I live at home during term anyway (68)
29.69%

Watched Threads