does universities like further maths or not?

Watch
imcrying
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
im taking computer science, maths, economics, and further math but i want to drop computer science. but i heard that unis (like lse and ucl) dont like further maths as the 3rd alevel subject? would i be at a disadvantage? is it worth dropping computer science and then doing the epq??
edzomac
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What subject do you want to do at uni? For economics an A* in maths should have you covered (with an AS in further maths being a nice bonus) but a CS or maths degree you really do need further maths.
imcrying
Rep:
?
(Original post by edzomac)
What subject do you want to do at uni? For economics an A* in maths should have you covered (with an AS in further maths being a nice bonus) but a CS or maths degree you really do need further maths.
i want to do economics, the main reason why i was thinking about dropping computer science is because i didnt take it for gcse
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imcrying)
im taking computer science, maths, economics, and further math but i want to drop computer science. but i heard that unis (like lse and ucl) dont like further maths as the 3rd alevel subject? would i be at a disadvantage? is it worth dropping computer science and then doing the epq??
Why would unis not like further maths.
I did engineering so not exactly the same but I honestly think it is the best preparation for an analytical degree.
imcrying
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Why would unis not like further maths.
I did engineering so not exactly the same but I honestly think it is the best preparation for an analytical degree.
idk i read that unis like lse dont like further maths as one of your 3 subjects and i want to do something in economics so im not sure if i should drop CS or FM
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
idk i read that unis like lse dont like further maths as one of your 3 subjects and i want to do something in economics so im not sure if i should drop CS or FM
TBH I thought further maths was liked for the more analytical economics degrees. Cambridge recommend taking further maths for economics.
edzomac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i want to do economics, the main reason why i was thinking about dropping computer science is because i didnt take it for gcse
Have you thought about doing all 4 to AS and then dropping one? An extra A in an AS will go a long way. here is the guide to 'preferred subjects' at LSE: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U...ns-Information
On another note, i also want to do economics, have you thought much about uni choices yet?
imcrying
Rep:
?
(Original post by edzomac)
Have you thought about doing all 4 to AS and then dropping one? An extra A in an AS will go a long way. here is the guide to 'preferred subjects' at LSE: https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U...ns-Information
On another note, i also want to do economics, have you thought much about uni choices yet?
i think i'll ask my teachers if i can do further maths as an AS..
i have but i need to do more research about their courses, how about you?
edzomac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
i have a provisional list of 5 choices but this could change quite drastically after i go to open days once corona is gone.
Oxford E&M, LSE econ, Warwick econ, Liverpool or Manchester econ and then an undecided reserve choice which will be like bcc or something lol. I fully believe i'm capable of an A* in economics but my main worry is maths. it's just so damn hard lol and most really good unis need it for econ. Oxford is an exception (minimum standard is only an A), but when looking at the 6% admission rate, to be competitive you gotta have it really. I think my brain would just implode if i took further maths lol.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As I said to you on your other thread, LSE do like FM for Economics.

In fact Maths, FM and Economics would be a very good combination for a degree in Economics at LSE as they also like a subject showing essay writing skills in combination with Maths and FM, and Economics counts for that purpose.
*****deadness
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
More mathematical courses are fine with or even require further maths, but computer science has much less relevance to non-CS courses that are still mathematical like physics, engineering, economics etc. You'll have to stray quite a bit away from maths courses to have ones that don't like further maths. One medicine course in a decent university I looked at only takes the higher mark out of maths and further maths, counting that as 1 A level, and you'll still need 3 more. And yeah more humanities-based courses at LSE don't really like maths and further maths given as 2 out of 3 A levels, but I've only seen LSE say that. Anyway further maths is a respected subject and as far as I know competitive computer science courses like oxford don't require computer science A level but strongly prefer further maths.
Last edited by *****deadness; 1 month ago
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ******eadness)
More mathematical courses are fine with or even require further maths, but computer science has much less relevance to non-CS courses that are still mathematical like physics, engineering, economics etc. You'll have to stray quite a bit away from maths courses to have ones that don't like further maths. One medicine course in a decent university I looked at only takes the higher mark out of maths and further maths, counting that as 1 A level, and you'll still need 3 more. And yeah more humanities-based courses at LSE don't really like maths and further maths given as 2 out of 3 A levels, but I've only seen LSE say that. Anyway further maths is a respected subject and as far as I know competitive computer science courses like oxford don't require computer science A level but strongly prefer further maths.
But they do like it for Economics degrees which is what OP said he was interested in on another thread

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U.../BSc-Economics
*****deadness
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
But they do like it for Economics degrees which is what OP said he was interested in on another thread

https://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/U.../BSc-Economics
Ehh I haven’t seen their other threads. I did say further maths is useful for many things, which covers economics
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Further maths would be much useful than CS for economics and you'd fine with just those three.
livlifestudying
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I emailed several universities (about 20, all of which were top unis inc. Cambridge) and all said that economics, maths and fm were fine for their economics course😊
edzomac
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by livlifestudying)
I emailed several universities (about 20, all of which were top unis inc. Cambridge) and all said that economics, maths and fm were fine for their economics course😊
Nice one ((:
deadroseex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My teacher said Further Maths looks good in your CV and if you get UCAS points even better?? No clue tbh.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by deadroseex)
My teacher said Further Maths looks good in your CV and if you get UCAS points even better?? No clue tbh.
Im less convinced by this argument.
Its worth the exact same UCAS points as any other A-level, as for CV well most grad employers dont look at A-level subjects, they are likely to want a 2.1 or 1st in an analytical degree.

The best argument for it is if you want to study an analytical degree at uni, you will have more preparation & understanding starting the degree then those who dont have it. Those who dont have further maths then need to learn all the content at triple speed at uni with much larger cohorts (you might have 300 students to 1 lecturer Vs 5-10 students to 1 school teacher). And at top unis it might help make a more competitive application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed