The Student Room Group

getting married at 24 - everyone telling me to wait till 30?

It depends on your situation. I have friends who were married at about 24 (we're 26/7 now). I probably wont be until 30+ - Main reason being I am single atm :rofl: but yeah it depends on you and where you are at in your relationship (assuming youre in one?)
Are you dating or just dreaming
Reply 3
Original post by Jack22031994
It depends on your situation. I have friends who were married at about 24 (we're 26/7 now). I probably wont be until 30+ - Main reason being I am single atm :rofl: but yeah it depends on you and where you are at in your relationship (assuming youre in one?)

21 atm, we planning for engagement party for next summer and then wait till 2023 till we have wedding or anythign - ill be 24 then. But anyone I speak to telling me im doing wrong I should be waiting till 30 etc, you know. baby 2023 we would have been together for 5/6 years
Reply 4
Is it your choice to get married? Can you imagine yourself with him forever? Are you totally 100% with the situation? Can you financially support yourselves? If the answers to these questions are yes, then I don't see any problem with it
Original post by Anonymous

If you're fine with the idea of getting married at 24, taking other things into account, e.g. finances, you should go ahead. Getting pregnant earlier would take less of a toll on your general health than getting pregnant later on.

If you're 100% sure he's the right man, go for marriage.
(edited 3 years ago)
21 atm, we planning for engagement party for next summer and then wait till 2023 till we have wedding or anythign - ill be 24 then. But anyone I speak to telling me im doing wrong I should be waiting till 30 etc, you know. baby 2023 we would have been together for 5/6 years

24 isn't too early to necessarily get married but 21 is too early to get engaged. You're still mad young and I don't know if you went uni and got your degree/a job etc but you might wanna wait till you've got your life together a bit more and are stable. Rushing into things too quickly is why marriage doesn't work...
Original post by Osiemnascielat
Would help if the UK government incentivised straight marriage a la Hungary rather than gay marriage and single mothers.
Would also help if middle class women had their children in their mid 20s rather than at 40 after a decade or two of drink/drugs/career.

Singapore has done that for decades with tax incentives/rebates.

Not sure about your second proposal. Women should have their kids if they want and when they want. We aren't breeding units of misogynist regimes any longer but there are still some dudes who seem to have a problem with that concept.
Reply 8
24 isn't too early to necessarily get married but 21 is too early to get engaged. You're still mad young and I don't know if you went uni and got your degree/a job etc but you might wanna wait till you've got your life together a bit more and are stable. Rushing into things too quickly is why marriage doesn't work...

we both finished our degrees and doing our training year PGCE this year, so ill be 22 at engagement and finished with PGCE...
Ask your parents. Its not really your choice to make. Suffice it to say having kids in later life stores the potential baby up for a myriad of health/psychological problems.
The question is, are you ready? Is your partner ready?
Don't be a sheep and blindly follow what people say, do what is best for you. Weigh out the pros and cons if you have to. No one can tell you what is better for you, only you can choose. Your life, your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending