The Student Room Group

Do Unis care too much about predicted grades

Hi, I am currently doing my Alevels and I am planning on applying for Psychology. My main choices are Bristol, Leeds and Queen Mary London. However, my predicted grades are BBBA ( I take 4 subjects) and most of the Unis requirements are AAA or A*AA or A*AB, is there any possibilities of me getting offers to those unis, with the predicted grades I have? I also did get As in some Mocks and lessons tests.
Not a hope for Bristol - A*AA.

You need to drop one subject and concentrate on the other three.
AAA will always look better than ABBB.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Ring and ask them.
My son got offers from AAB unis with BBC predicted grades for this year - however back in Jan/ Feb they were the "low birth year" so perhaps bit more of a "buyers" market - also not the most competative course!
Original post by MadMathsMum
Ring and ask them.
My son got offers from AAB unis with BBC predicted grades for this year - however back in Jan/ Feb they were the "low birth year" so perhaps bit more of a "buyers" market - also not the most competative course!

Depends on Uni and subject - and it doesnt mean that the same thing will happen this year.
Lower grade offers usually are 'contextual offers' - they dont apply to everyone.
Do not 'assume' - it could mean a rejection

How to Avoid 5 Rejections : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Psychology is a popular subject and your 4 subjects will make it harder for you to achieve 3 good A levels which is what unis are looking for.

I would drop to 3 subjects and not bother applying to any A*AA unis
http://bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2021/psychology.pdf < = Bristol's admissions statement for Psychology
"1.6 Offers
"We recognise that some applicants may achieve higher than their predicted grades, and so we may also consider applicants who are predicted to achieve slightly below the entry requirements (usually in a non-specified subject). Any offer made would be at the standard level.
"If applicants are not qualified or have an unsuitable academic background for the course to which they originally applied, we may offer the opportunity to be considered for an alternative course in a related subject area. In such cases applicants will receive an email notification providing a list of the alternative options."

"2.5 Contextual information
"As part of our commitment to the UK national agenda on widening participation, we consider the context in which grades have been achieved and make contextual offers. Contextual offers are usually two grades lower than the typical offer. Applicants may receive a contextual offer for the following reasons: attendance at an aspiring state school or college; residence in an area with low progression to higher education; completion of a University of Bristol outreach programme; having spent three months or more in care.

"Full details of the contextual offer scheme can be found here: www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/entry-requirements-qualifications/contextual-offers/ and within the University’s Admissions Principles and Procedures for Undergraduate
Courses."

If you expect to meet the Bristol standard offer (ie exceed your predictions), are eligible for a contextual offer OR are happy to be considered for alternate courses at Bristol then it's not a wasted choice (particularly if you have a very strong set of GCSE results to boost your score).

Have you spoken to your teachers about your predicted grades and whether there's anything you can do between now and January to demonstrate that you're likely to get a higher grade? There's no rush to apply earlier than January - especially if you're able to improve the strength of your application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending