Good BTEC Ex Dip grades but a 5/B in maths GCSE for uni in 2022

Watch
Ryan81772
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am predicted a D*D*D (160 UCAS points) for my BTEC Ex Diploma in Computing, which meets the entry requirements to almost every Russel Group uni, but I am holding just a 5/B in GCSE maths. The entry requirements of most of the Russel Group uni compsci courses require some sort of additional qualification in maths such as an A level, a unit in the BTEC, etc. which I have not chose to take. There are only a few that accept applicants with just a 5 or 6 in GCSE maths., but I am not sure if they will accept my application.

What does admissions think of such an applicant? Am I likely to get into one of these unis?
Last edited by Ryan81772; 1 month ago
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There have been students on here in the past with this type of query. Universities tend not to be flexible for GCSE or A level Maths grades. Computer science is a very mathematical course and without the appropriate maths qualification you will get rejected. I remember a guy trying to get in to I think Reading with D*D*D* but getting rejected because of his Maths grade. From memory Kent, East Anglia, Essex and Aberystwyth only require grade 4. They are not Russell Group but the best universities that I can think of. You can also resit your GCSE Maths grade to improve it.
Ryan81772
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
There have been students on here in the past with this type of query. Universities tend not to be flexible for GCSE or A level Maths grades. Computer science is a very mathematical course and without the appropriate maths qualification you will get rejected. I remember a guy trying to get in to I think Reading with D*D*D* but getting rejected because of his Maths grade. From memory Kent, East Anglia, Essex and Aberystwyth only require grade 4. They are not Russell Group but the best universities that I can think of. You can also resit your GCSE Maths grade to improve it.
Thanks for the reply. I may not be able to resit my maths GCSE as I cannot afford the tuition fees and I am on my last year of the vocation course (year 13) and can't take A levels.

However, some students add their UMS score for their main required GCSE grade on UCAS, I was very close to a 6 in GCSE maths (3 marks off), should I include this UMS in the grade acheived for GCSE maths?
maven2k
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ryan81772)
Thanks for the reply. I may not be able to resit my maths GCSE as I cannot afford the tuition fees and I am on my last year of the vocation course (year 13) and can't take A levels.

However, some students add their UMS score for their main required GCSE grade on UCAS, I was very close to a 6 in GCSE maths (3 marks off), should I include this UMS in the grade acheived for GCSE maths?
I will be honest with you. If you can't even do GCSE maths how will you cope with degree maths in computer science? I don't understand how can you not " afford the tuition fees " for GCSE maths resits if you considering going to university and pay 9k grand? DO maths or you will struggle. I'm also doing the same course and I'm able to choose maths units, so I don't really see the issue
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Ryan81772)

I am sorry that I missed this at the time. The reality is that for most leading Computer Science courses you will need A level Maths usually grade A and those that donT usually INSIST on grade B at GCSE. Some other Computing courses dont have this requirement but for CS generally you will have a straight rejection if you dont meet the Maths requirement. You could try the route regarding your UMS marks but I dont suspect it will help.

Why do you say you cannot afford the fees. Have you discussed this with your college. Explain you need the higher grade as an entry requirement. Most allow you to take the GCSE alongside your BTEC. You would do the resit lessons usually 1 a week then take the exam. Even if you have to do the resit privately it will be a fraction of the cost of a degree. A couple of hundred pounds at the most and possibly far less. Without retaking it you will find difficulties finding any leading university that will take you even if you get D*D*D* in your BTEC. Your other option is to look into other universities and the ones I listed are amongst the best who dont require grade B GCSE Maths. The guy I referred to a couple of years ago ended up with nothing. I suggested Kent but he kept burying his head in the sand thing his excellent grades would cover his low Maths grade which the didnt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (73)
27.76%
No - I have already returned home (30)
11.41%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.53%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.65%
No - I live at home during term anyway (78)
29.66%

Watched Threads