A level criminology vs a level psychology

Watch
Jessica_amy04
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm stuck between the two, whats the difference apart from criminology is very much crime based but in psychology do you also look at some aspects of criminology? Which one do you enjoy more if you did both?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jessica_amy04)
I'm stuck between the two, whats the difference apart from criminology is very much crime based but in psychology do you also look at some aspects of criminology? Which one do you enjoy more if you did both?
Some Unis don’t recognise Criminology as an academic A level so I would pick Psychology on that basis alone
Arden University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

I did an A-Level in Psychology and we did touch on areas of criminal psychology which was similar to areas of criminology that I have been studying in my Criminology and Psychology degree I am currently studying right now. The psychology A-Level for me was personally very interesting as it covered a wide variety of areas over the two years. While I did not complete an A-Level in criminology, my degree that I am currently doing covers this and I found that having the back information of my Psychology A-Level has really helped me in my modules that cover the criminology aspects of my degree! Overall, I would say Psychology may be a more favoured option for you. However, you should also think about which one you would enjoy more

Toni,
Student Ambassador
lisa.mapsie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
criminology is mainly focused on the different aspects of crime and the justice system. Whereas psychology is briefly about the brain and the mind. For example, how it works in ways to make people do the things they do.
Arden University
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Jessica_amy04)
Hi @jessica_amy04

Taking personal taste out of the equation (I did neither and did A Level Sociology, followed by a degree in that, and an MSc Conversion in Psychology) typically a Psychology qualification has broader appeal to employers, as the skills you learn are deemed as being more applicable to day to day situations. The great thing is with most Universities is that if you do a BA there will be unit's from other subjects such as Criminology or Sociology that you can do as part of your degree. From memory they were called elective unit's in the second and third year. The Social sciences do tend to blur together quite a lot, although a BSc or an MSc will focus on more of the scientific sides of the discipline

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Criminology is not an actual A level, but a Level 3 course considered equivalent to an A level.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (72)
27.69%
No - I have already returned home (29)
11.15%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (54)
20.77%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (28)
10.77%
No - I live at home during term anyway (77)
29.62%

Watched Threads