The Student Room Group

Can i redo first year if I've changed universities?

Ok so basically I did my foundation and first year at a previous uni then transferred to a different one for my second year. However, I have found I am struggling quite a bit, a mix of my old uni not teaching the content very well and offering little to no additional help, and the modules at my new uni not quite matching up, and so I don't know all the content I should.

However, I did pass first year at my old uni so would this write me off straight away from doing it again as you can normally only redo if you fail, but I am at a different uni now?

I know the best thing would be to speak to my uni but I just wanted to get a rough idea of if this would be possible before I dive in head first.

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Ok so basically I did my foundation and first year at a previous uni then transferred to a different one for my second year. However, I have found I am struggling quite a bit, a mix of my old uni not teaching the content very well and offering little to no additional help, and the modules at my new uni not quite matching up, and so I don't know all the content I should.

However, I did pass first year at my old uni so would this write me off straight away from doing it again as you can normally only redo if you fail, but I am at a different uni now?

I know the best thing would be to speak to my uni but I just wanted to get a rough idea of if this would be possible before I dive in head first.

Thanks in advance for any help :smile:

Hi,

I think as you said it does depend on the individual uni. But my friend left uni after first year, moved to Nottingham then did 1st year there again, and she didn’t fail her first year either, so I think you may be able but obviously can’t speak for all Uni’s!

Sophie - Official Student Rep :smile:
Very often when you change uni, even to the same course, you have to start again in first year. There is no guarantee you would be able to directly transfer into higher years of the degree, so you should really operate under the assumption you need to start from first year again.

However, be aware this may affect your entitlement to funding from SFE. If you have studied a foundation year and year 1 of a degree at one uni, then move to year 1 at another uni, you will only have two years of funding left, which means the first year at the new uni you will need to self-fund tuition fees (you would still be eligible for a maintenance loan however).

So it is possible (likely even) but proceed carefully until you are certain of the financial situation and how it affects you. It may not be possible to directly proceed to first year at the other uni without taking some time out from uni to save up some money, for example. In that case depending on your plans you may or may not prefer to see if you can directly transfer into year 2 of the course at the new uni.
"speak to your uni" as you predicted, but yes - a degree doesn't have to be 3 years long, whatever path you take , you should enjoy and learn.
Martin Lewis of MoneySavingExpert points out that if you have borrowed a student loan for a degree, it's not a loan but a tax, and your repayments hardly are related to your borrowings, or length of your course. Do things your own way, you'll be a better you. Surely your ECTS credits from a first year don't block you from doing another first year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending