The Student Room Group

studying three lv. 3 btecs in sixth form?

Hi. In my sixth form we have the option to choose a levels and btecs. I was wondering if i was to choose 3 btecs, would univerties value it? I’m taking about competitive universities like Oxford (my dream uni). I want to study btec Health and social care, Child development and Forensic science.???
Really depends on the person who reviews your application but as a rule: absolutely not. Although they’re theoretically equal, Oxford is a posh uni full of tossers who think they’re too good for compromise. If it came down to a student with 3 BTEC distinctions and a student with 3 As at A level, chances are they’ll take the A level student because that’s easier for them to understand and they’ve never had to think a day in their life; mummy and daddy paid for their private education and their dad's mate got them a job at Oxford. The elitism is REAL so yes, legally, they might appear the same but chances are they won’t be considered as such. On the other hand, the only point in going to a posh university is making rich friends who will be your boss one day, hiring you because ‘oh I went to oxbridge too! Aren’t we so much better than everyone else? Haha yeah you got the job.’ Non-oxbridge unis are surprisingly very equal these days and it really doesn’t make a huge difference so if you don’t plan to work internationally the university you go to really won’t impact your life that much. If you feel like you can get 3 distinctions at BTEC but you’d only get BBC at A level I’d say do the BTECs and go to a great Russel group. It’s all about being realistic in your abilities and working hard. If you’d do better in the subjects at BTEC than the A level subjects available DEFINITELY go for the BTECs, but don’t get too hopeful about getting into Oxford. You can always do your masters there once you have a bachelors from a good university that’s less snobby. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest