The Student Room Group

Who wants gavin Williamson to be sacked?

I heard that Gavin Williamson has almost destroyed the 🇬🇧 education system by making A levels and GCSEs harder and making students sit exams at the end.
Why’s he so addicted to exams?
Do you think he will be sacked?
Original post by Jeff66666666
I heard that Gavin Williamson has almost destroyed the 🇬🇧 education system by making A levels and GCSEs harder and making students sit exams at the end.

First, he is in charge of the English education system (to an extent Wales with A levels I don’t know?) not the British one. In Scotland we have our own controversy around SG Education Minister John Swinney.

Should he be sacked? Yes. Even following the furore in Scotland they didn’t heed the warning signs and made all the same mistakes. How anyone could not foresee the problems is beyond me.

Will he? No. It’s too late for that and they don’t care about school pupils, nor have anyone worthy of replacing him.
Uh no it was Gove who screwed over GCSEs and A-levels either way Gavin has got to go (not because of the exams fiasco).
I couldn't really care to be honest.

What will him being gone accomplish? Another tory who likely has no clue about education comes into the role.. wants to make their mark and stamp their name all over it, brings in a load of new changes, ****s up in the same ways as the last few have..

Lets have a look at the last few..

Gavin - Career politician, straight track from the student politics to MP, no history in education
Damian - 18 years in pubs/hotels...
Justine - Accountant/finance manager
Nicky - Solicitor
Michael - Journalist
Ed - experience teaching in higher education
Alan - union work
Ruth - experience teaching in higher education
Charles - unions
Estelle - teacher
Blunkett - lecturer

So going back to Blairs landslide in 1997, we have a pretty one sided story.

Labour had 6 people in the role, 4 of which had direct work or experience in the education sector.

The conservatives have appointed 5 people, 0 of which had any connection to education except being a student themselves.

I'm not saying that you must have been a teacher or a lecturer to be a good education secretary, but it shows how the role is viewed. In the tory party its just another promotional tool. its given to whoever needs a new role for what ever political purpose they can serve to the guys in charge. At least with Labour it meant a little bit more, and there was a bit more of a strain of actual educational experience coming from the top.

So what then, if you sack Gavin? Boris puts in another person who has equally little clue, and wants to use it as a career footstall.. Great.

So no..if you want to fix education, don't sack Gavin - instead we need to change whole way education is managed, and probably sack the tory party in the process.
making A levels and GCSEs harder and making students sit exams at the end.

That was Gove. And while Gove's reforms had their problems, I have no problem with trying to push children harder to get the best out of them.

As for Williamson, he should have resigned. Sadly taking personal responsibility is not a trait associated with conservatism, so it was not a surprise that he did not.

“A fish rots from the head down”. Sadly, the people who elected Boris Johnson and the Tories deserve what they have gotten now. Some opponents had stated that Johnson was incompetent and apparently did not do detail but they chose to disregard it. Now they are wailing about the crisis.

Although Gavin Williamson should have gone, I think the whole Government needs to be replaced by a competent one with real substance. Those who actually know what they are talking about. Unfortunately, it wont happen because the Government are apparently experts in the control of the electorate.
Original post by Kitten in boots
That was Gove. And while Gove's reforms had their problems, I have no problem with trying to push children harder to get the best out of them.

As for Williamson, he should have resigned. Sadly taking personal responsibility is not a trait associated with conservatism, so it was not a surprise that he did not.

Yes students should be pushed to work harder but most students have mental health issues because of this education system. Look at A levels for example you have to learn all the content for every subject for the 2nd year whereas before it was half because As grade counted as 50% but now it doesn’t. Only England have changed this. I’m pretty sure the rest of the uk have kept there’s same
Original post by Kitten in boots

Then why couldn't he simply make the exams questions harder as opposed to switching to a problematic crappy linear exam system? Why couldn't he have the same system as Wales and Northern Ireland?
Yes students should be pushed to work harder but most students have mental health issues because of this education system. Look at A levels for example you have to learn all the content for every subject for the 2nd year whereas before it was half because As grade counted as 50% but now it doesn’t. Only England have changed this. I’m pretty sure the rest of the uk have kept there’s same

Yeah. I think that AS exams (even if they don't count towards the final grade) need to be made mandatory in England again or under any linear exams system so that they can be used as backup final results (rather than proven to be unrealistic, unreliable, overgenerous, biased teacher predicted grades). I would also make it so that people apply to university purely on the basis of the grades they received in their AS/A2 exams so that teachers have no right to predict their pupils a UCAS grade (e.g say you received ABB on AS results day then those are your UCAS predicted grades, nothing higher nothing lower under any circumstances).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending