The Student Room Group

Possibility of Uni with my A-levels?

Hi All,
For A-level, I picked Biology, Chemistry and Maths. However, shortly after I changed Maths to Business due to me not liking subject content = lack of engagement = lack of memorisation. My parent's think it was a bad choice and I don't know how to feel about it. Although I am enjoying Business right now, I don't know if that choice has affected my possibility of going to a Russell Group Uni(Ideally Imperial)?
Any info is greatly appreciated.
EDIT: *To study Biochemistry*
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ben-Hassen
Hi All,
For A-level, I picked Biology, Chemistry and Maths. However, shortly after I changed Maths to Business due to me not liking subject content = lack of engagement = lack of memorisation. My parent's think it was a bad choice and I don't know how to feel about it. Although I am enjoying Business right now, I don't know if that choice has affected my possibility of going to a Russell Group Uni (Ideally Imperial)?

Russel Group means absolutely nothing, honestly. What degree do you want to do? Have a look at the entry requirements for that course at the universities you are interested in. If they don't require maths as an A-Level, then you'll be absolutely fine and you only have to worry about getting the grades. If you are enjoying Business and you're doing well in it, then it definitely was the right choice to swap to it as it'll benefit you overall.
What they said above. As long as your a levels are relevant to the degree you want to do then the only thing that matters is getting good grades
Hi All,
For A-level, I picked Biology, Chemistry and Maths. However, shortly after I changed Maths to Business due to me not liking subject content = lack of engagement = lack of memorisation. My parent's think it was a bad choice and I don't know how to feel about it. Although I am enjoying Business right now, I don't know if that choice has affected my possibility of going to a Russell Group Uni (Ideally Imperial)?

Hey @Ben-Hassen!

Biology, Chemistry and Business is still a great mix!
Depending on what you want to do at uni you will have to meet different requirements

Say for example you want to do a degree in science the chances are your subjects will be fine as most require 2 science subjects at A-level
You can check out specific requirements for different courses on UCAS!

Also the fact that you have changed due to not enjoying maths is a good idea, don't leave yourself stuck studying a subject you're not motivated to do - as this would have meant you may not have got as good grades compared to studying the subject you enjoy and want to put effort into!

Don't worry about what your parents think because at the end of the day you are studying the subject not them, and you have to do what you think is best :smile:

Good luck with your A-levels and applications to uni!!
Eloise - Official Student Rep :smile:
Hi All,

For most life science courses Biology and Chemistry are the main requirements and the 3rd subject doesnt matter. For things like Engineering, Economics or Computer Science then not having Maths will be a disadvantage. Even though business studies is sometimes considered a weaker subject and migh be on the non preferred list for some universities you have 2 preferred subjects so it will not matter.

Quick Reply

Latest