Lin00
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hello everyone!
I'm trying to understand how A Levels work and I don't quite get how you get your A Levels marks.
Do you get graded in your last year (A2)? Is it averaged out between A1 and A2? Are your grades based solely on the exams after A2?
I have studied abroad in a EU country but I need higher grades than the ones I have now so I'm thinking about taking A Levels exams but is it compulsory to go through another one/two years of classes?
I've seen the syllabus and it's pretty much the same as what I have studied.
Also, I've been tutoring other students for the exact same subjects I want to take the exams of so I have the material fresh.
Currently studying Psychology at university but I still need good A Levels marks.

Thank you in advance!
Purplery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Your final grade is the grade you achieved in the final A2 exams in the summer.
Lin00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purplery)
Your final grade is the grade you achieved in the final A2 exams in the summer.
Thank you very much for your reply! I want to study Medicine (Graduate Entry), I think I'll be able to get a First Class Honours but my marks on the equivalent of the two years of A Levels fall behind a lot! Do you have any suggestions? I'll be really glad if someone could shed some light as I'm completely lost...
For Biology A Levels I've seen something about practical endorsement or something like that and the average cost of taking A Levels exams have skyrocketed a lot...
I'm even losing hope of studying medicine...
Last edited by Lin00; 3 months ago
Purplery
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lin00)
Thank you very much for your reply! I want to study Medicine (Graduate Entry), I think I'll be able to get a First Class Honours but my marks on the equivalent of the two years of A Levels fall behind a lot! Do you have any suggestions? I'll be really glad if someone could shed some light as I'm completely lost...
For Biology A Levels I've seen something about practical endorsement or something like that and the average cost of taking A Levels exams have skyrocketed a lot...
I'm even losing hope of studying medicine...
I'm not doing medicine but for revision advice I'd say do lots of past papers. What separates A and A* students isn't how much content they know, it's that the A* student knows how to answer exam questions better. Tailored Tutors is a good revisions source, I used it for chemistry but it's probably just as good for biology.
There is a practical endorsement for the science, in OCR they're called PAGs, you have to complete certain practicals and fill out a booklet it's incredibly easy if you plan on going to college but I have no idea how it would be done if you aren't planning on going to college.
Don't give up hope yet, good luck with getting into medicine!
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Are you planning on taking the exams in Enfgland, elsewhere in the UK or abroad? the answers to your questions depend on your answer to this.
Lin00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Purplery)
I'm not doing medicine but for revision advice I'd say do lots of past papers. What separates A and A* students isn't how much content they know, it's that the A* student knows how to answer exam questions better. Tailored Tutors is a good revisions source, I used it for chemistry but it's probably just as good for biology.
There is a practical endorsement for the science, in OCR they're called PAGs, you have to complete certain practicals and fill out a booklet it's incredibly easy if you plan on going to college but I have no idea how it would be done if you aren't planning on going to college.
Don't give up hope yet, good luck with getting into medicine!
Thaank yoou so much! I'll look up that website as soon as posible!
Lin00
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
Are you planning on taking the exams in Enfgland, elsewhere in the UK or abroad? the answers to your questions depend on your answer to this.
I'll be taking them on England. They'll be Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lin00)
I'll be taking them on England. They'll be Biology, Chemistry and Maths.
In that case there is no A1 and A2 (they refer to modular A levels England doesn't have any more), there are just A level exams at the end of the course.

For Biology and Chemistry you will also need to complete 12 assessed practicals for each Science. How you do does not affect your grade but the final certificate indicates if you've passed them or not and medical schools are almost certain to require a pass as a condition of their offer. It is both difficult and expensive to find an exam centre willing to accept you for A level Sciences because of the need to do the practicals. Expect to pay around £1000 per A level - possible more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
56.13%
I don't have everything I need (254)
43.87%

Watched Threads