how do i get higher grades 9-1 at gcses??-year 11 student

Watch
alishaaaaaxo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
i get like 3s and 2s grades at school in every test butt i want to grow my grades on every subjects as i want to achieve very well plsss help

im in year 11
Falafel04
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by alishaaaaaxo)
i get like 3s and 2s grades at school in every test butt i want to grow my grades on every subjects as i want to achieve very well plsss help

im in year 11
It's all about hard work and dedication really. Revise for every test, go over what you've learnt after every lesson and if you don't understand something, speak to your teacher. You have to be motivated or you're not likely to get anywhere.
xxioh34xx
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hello, I took my GCSEs this year - I may have not sat the exams, but I did do well in the mocks and ended up coming out with some good grades from my teachers predictions, so I hope this advice can help! Just remember, keep it in manageable chunks, do something regularly, and don't just read your notes and you should be fine.

Write all of your subjects down on a piece of paper, then number them from 1-10 (or however many you do). Put at number 1 the subject that you do the best in / enjoy learning the most, and at number 10 the subject that you usually do the worst in / really dislike learning.

Look at your list. See which subjects are down the bottom, perhaps 7,8,9, and 10. These are the subjects you probably want to focus on. If maths and English are not in these bottom ones, I would also recommend prioritising them as it would definitely be an advantage if you can pass maths and english first time around (but don't fret, you will be given lots of opportunities to pass even if you don't the first time )

Take one of these bottom subjects and find a textbook / book you write notes in during that lesson. Look at the contents page, or through your notes to see all of the topics you have covered. Examples of these topics could be An Inspector Calls in English, volcanoes or earthquakes in geography, or simultaneous equations in maths. RAG these, Red being the ones you are really stuck on, Amber being ones you understand a little and Green being ones you are definitely confident on.

Take a look at the red topics and try to revise these ones first. Look back through you lesson notes to when you did the topic and try to recap your knowledge. Look in the textbook at these topics if you have one. There are also many online resources that you can look at different subjects and if you look in them you can revise the different topics. For example:
- www.mathedup.co.uk for Maths
- www.senecalearning.com for Almost Any Subject - there is a LOT of content here for free and it tests you on information which is really good for recall in exams
- GCSE Pod is good for things such as Geography and History as well as other subjects (I'm not sure if you can make a profile though if your school is not signed up, but you can always try / ask your school if they have a GCSE Pod subscription)
- www.quizlet.com for Flashcards eg: you can make online flash cards for key terms in science/RS/dates in History etc.

After you have learnt the knowledge you can find practise papers online and try to complete them, then use the mark scheme to mark them, or ask your teacher to mark them for you. This is really really helpful in the long run as little and often will help you prepare and you will feel confident in answering exam questions by the time of your exam.

I would recommend looking at the red topics on your least confident subjects first, then moving to the yellow. Make sure you also do any red topics you have at your most confident subjects (ranked around 1 - 4) too as you need to make sure you are doing a little bit of work for every subject, not just a lot of work for one subject. This will help you in the long run!

If you are struggling, I would say focus on English and Maths, and if you are really struggling talk to your teachers, they are there to help you do your best and may be able to work with you to find a plan that works for you best.

Don't try to revise everything at once as you will get stressed and overworked - stick to a small amount in small chunks and over time you will get through all of it - don't forget to go back and revise old topics too!

I wish you the best of luck, and don't ever be scared for ask for support from those around you!
Carismaw
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by xxellxx)
Hello, I took my GCSEs this year - I may have not sat the exams, but I did do well in the mocks and ended up coming out with some good grades from my teachers predictions, so I hope this advice can help! Just remember, keep it in manageable chunks, do something regularly, and don't just read your notes and you should be fine.

Write all of your subjects down on a piece of paper, then number them from 1-10 (or however many you do). Put at number 1 the subject that you do the best in / enjoy learning the most, and at number 10 the subject that you usually do the worst in / really dislike learning.

Look at your list. See which subjects are down the bottom, perhaps 7,8,9, and 10. These are the subjects you probably want to focus on. If maths and English are not in these bottom ones, I would also recommend prioritising them as it would definitely be an advantage if you can pass maths and english first time around (but don't fret, you will be given lots of opportunities to pass even if you don't the first time )

Take one of these bottom subjects and find a textbook / book you write notes in during that lesson. Look at the contents page, or through your notes to see all of the topics you have covered. Examples of these topics could be An Inspector Calls in English, volcanoes or earthquakes in geography, or simultaneous equations in maths. RAG these, Red being the ones you are really stuck on, Amber being ones you understand a little and Green being ones you are definitely confident on.

Take a look at the red topics and try to revise these ones first. Look back through you lesson notes to when you did the topic and try to recap your knowledge. Look in the textbook at these topics if you have one. There are also many online resources that you can look at different subjects and if you look in them you can revise the different topics. For example:
- www.mathedup.co.uk for Maths
- www.senecalearning.com for Almost Any Subject - there is a LOT of content here for free and it tests you on information which is really good for recall in exams
- GCSE Pod is good for things such as Geography and History as well as other subjects (I'm not sure if you can make a profile though if your school is not signed up, but you can always try / ask your school if they have a GCSE Pod subscription)
- www.quizlet.com for Flashcards eg: you can make online flash cards for key terms in science/RS/dates in History etc.

After you have learnt the knowledge you can find practise papers online and try to complete them, then use the mark scheme to mark them, or ask your teacher to mark them for you. This is really really helpful in the long run as little and often will help you prepare and you will feel confident in answering exam questions by the time of your exam.

I would recommend looking at the red topics on your least confident subjects first, then moving to the yellow. Make sure you also do any red topics you have at your most confident subjects (ranked around 1 - 4) too as you need to make sure you are doing a little bit of work for every subject, not just a lot of work for one subject. This will help you in the long run!

If you are struggling, I would say focus on English and Maths, and if you are really struggling talk to your teachers, they are there to help you do your best and may be able to work with you to find a plan that works for you best.

Don't try to revise everything at once as you will get stressed and overworked - stick to a small amount in small chunks and over time you will get through all of it - don't forget to go back and revise old topics too!

I wish you the best of luck, and don't ever be scared for ask for support from those around you!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOk..._as=subscriber
I'm making a level/ GCSE revision video subscribe to my channel, comment on what videos I can help u get top grades to thank u
already published few videos.
Bubbles0077
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey, I used to also get 4s and 5s, once I even got a grade 1.
In my GCSE’s I ended up with 7-6
I could’ve done way better if i had tried harder before.
My recommendation to getting better grades is from watching free science lesson videos, going through the specification (print that out if u can, and keep highlighting all the things you know). Another thing is to re-read the cgp book 2-4 times, the cgp books are very helpful, trust me.
Make your own notes, for me flash cards were effective as i could use them anywhere, and my flash cards were very detailed,
I also did a lot of Past papers.
Start you revision ASAP.
Last edited by Bubbles0077; 6 months ago
Carismaw
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
I did GCSE in 2019, currently in sixth form year 13 studying A level Biology, Chemistry and Maths
In gcses i got 39s, 28s,27s, 36s, 15

for Science; learn content, use physics and maths tutor for flashcards, revision notes, once learn sub-topics, do exam questions, look at papers, and key topics that are repeatedly come, any past paper, any key words answers repeatedly come
Also use specification, so that u know you cover the entire spec, I got Seneca premiere account for anyone interested In that.

Maths:
CorbetMaths - many videos, questions, answers etc
CGP revision guides
HegartyMaths

English:
Paper
Flashcards for quotes/analysis - literature and poetry especially
- Addition reading, understand context * English Lit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (45)
40.54%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
18.92%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (6)
5.41%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
9.01%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (9)
8.11%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
7.21%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
10.81%

Watched Threads