Love Actually, lockdown reprise!

Watch
candydiva
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
American girl here

I spent a semester in the UK but for some reason the topic didn't come up then. I know it's not Christmas yet but let's get started! I just saw it again and now I want to know what UK students think about this.

Yes I know it is full of tired stereotypes coz that's what everyone will say. Yes it gets shown at Christmas here too. Yes we all watch it. Winter lockdown means we're all gonna get more of it too.

First I should say I am not a big fan of Hugh Grant. He's so typecast except when he played the sleazy closet gay dude getting Thai ladyboy massage in Bridget Jones lol.

Buut....the film had so many fun qualities. I love it.

Emma Thompson's performance. So brittle and self-deceiving. Stiff upper lip what ho looool!! I liked the Liam Neeson and Bill Nighy character portrayal as well.

Even Keira Knightley delivered a good performance.

Peter: "Do you admit the Brazilian prostitutes were a mistake?"

Yes we American college girls are cool and fun. We ride horses, jetskis and snowmobiles. We party with multiple sorority sisters and fun foreign dudes without any hangups.

The stereotypical portrayal of the British guys like Colin is entertaining. I love it when he visits the sorority girls' house in somewhere like Michigan and it's Christmas wonderland for him. It's even better when two of the sorority girls come with him to meet his buddy at the airport.

Inquiring minds want to know... are you gonna watch it again? I'd love to hear from other foreign students, Indian, French, Chinese, what did you think of the stereotypes?
asif007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm a born and bred Londoner but I've never seen Love Actually, haha. Lots of people have told me to watch it (mostly girls) but I just kept putting it in the queue behind other films. I came across an article today about the best romantic films to watch over the holidays and no surprises, Love Actually is on it. There's a few others on the list I want to watch too, so I plan to find all of them and spread them out over the coming weeks. I'll finally watch Love Actually so many years after it came out. I'm a bit sad like that - I enjoy romances even though I've been single for many years and never watched one on a date.

I have already seen some others on the list though. Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail and Last Christmas are all fantastic. Off the top of my head I've also seen Runaway Bride, Notting Hill, One Fine Day, Pretty Woman, Me Before You, Fault In Our Stars - all excellent stories.

Where in America are you from and where in UK did you spend your semester? Did you enjoy it?
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'm all in on Alan Rickman's side.
candydiva
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by asif007)
I'm a born and bred Londoner but I've never seen Love Actually, haha. Lots of people have told me to watch it (mostly girls) but I just kept putting it in the queue behind other films. I came across an article today about the best romantic films to watch over the holidays and no surprises, Love Actually is on it. There's a few others on the list I want to watch too, so I plan to find all of them and spread them out over the coming weeks. I'll finally watch Love Actually so many years after it came out. I'm a bit sad like that - I enjoy romances even though I've been single for many years and never watched one on a date.

I have already seen some others on the list though. Sleepless In Seattle, You've Got Mail and Last Christmas are all fantastic. Off the top of my head I've also seen Runaway Bride, Notting Hill, One Fine Day, Pretty Woman, Me Before You, Fault In Our Stars - all excellent stories.

Where in America are you from and where in UK did you spend your semester? Did you enjoy it?
I live out in the desert SW now but I am an international latina... Lat American on mom's side and Dad is from UK. For my study abroad I was at UCL and yeah it was rlly fun... until spring lockdown ofc and then it changed to wat we all know and don't love now with no socials/bars etc. I was lucky coz at least I got most of a normal term b4 that happened.
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How did you watch Love Actually? I checked Netflix, Prime, HBO and Hulu but it's not on any of them.
candydiva
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Coz I live in the US and have a satellite DirecTV package of about 1000 channels where they broadcast on Hallmark and other romcom channels. I have the choice of dozens of High Grant/Adam Sandler/Jack Black/Keira Knightley romcoms every day. Maybe u need underground torrent download lol!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (43)
18.07%
No one else does (77)
32.35%
I'm embarrassed about my background (25)
10.5%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (81)
34.03%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.26%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.68%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.1%

Watched Threads