The Student Room Group

I'm a first year Optometry student, ask me anything! :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nxsha
I've been going to regular eye tests since I was a child and so I saw first hand how much glasses improved my daily life e.g. education. I think sight is the most important sense :smile:

Omg this is deadass me. Ive had glasses for more than half my life and i know how frustrating it was and still is to not being able to see properly.
I was initially hell bound on doing biology as a degree but then again its hard to secure a job in research without a phd and i am not patient enough for that.
I wanted to know if optometrists get paid well because that is an important factor for me as well as genuine interest. I haven't had any work experience mainly due to covid but what type of volunteering can relate to optometry? And is optometry heavy in a certain subject for eg maths? because i do sociology, biology, chemistry. Do some unis require maths?
Sorry to bombard you with these questions.
Original post by Onika55275
Omg this is deadass me. Ive had glasses for more than half my life and i know how frustrating it was and still is to not being able to see properly.
I was initially hell bound on doing biology as a degree but then again its hard to secure a job in research without a phd and i am not patient enough for that.
I wanted to know if optometrists get paid well because that is an important factor for me as well as genuine interest. I haven't had any work experience mainly due to covid but what type of volunteering can relate to optometry? And is optometry heavy in a certain subject for eg maths? because i do sociology, biology, chemistry. Do some unis require maths?
Sorry to bombard you with these questions.

Same I understand your struggle, my eyesight is so poor!

Unfortunately, I don't know the specifics about the salary but I do know that the pay is good- especially after working for a few years or if you go do locum. You can also start your own practice which would obviously have an amazing income if that's something you're interested in doing. It really does depend on where you work. Some other options are: hospitals, high street practice or even research. Generally, practices in quieter towns tend to pay more due to the lack of Optometrists in that area whereas large cities are the opposite.

You can pretty much relate any type of volunteering to Optometry- especially ones involved with the public like charity shops, fundraising events, care homes. PM me if you need help relating your experiences to Optometry! :smile:

There is a fair amount of maths in the first year- we have 2 physics-based modules. However, I've found that it's mostly just using/solving/rearranging equations. Quite a few students haven't done A-Level maths either and I don't think it matters too much. The teachers know this and tend to break down the steps in questions. I don't think any unis ask for maths specifically. Optometry is heavy in Biology though and a lot of the A-Level content is repeated (with a few more details) in the first term.

The requirements usually are:
Two from the following subjects:
-Maths
-Biology
-Chemistry
-Physics

In other words, your A-level choices should be perfectly fine! :smile:
Original post by nxsha
I know that there's barely any advice or resources for students who are thinking of applying for Optometry (there isn't even an optom section on TSR), so I thought that I'd create this forum. I'll try my best to help you out :smile:

You don't understand how happy I am to find this thread! I've wanted to do Optometry for the longest time and even though I'm certain that this course is what I am really passionate about, it really is a stressful time when it comes to this time around with UCAS applications. So basically I've got a few questions.

1.) Currently, I'm predicted ABB for physics, chemistry and maths respectively and the unis I would love to apply to require AAB, so I want to know if you think I should still apply, if so, how likely do you think I'm able to get an offer?

2.) Cardiff uni offers a preliminary year for which the requirements are BBB, and since I haven't taken biology do you think it'll be beneficial to take the preliminary year due to the fact the first year of the 3 year course is content-heavy on biology? (btw preliminary year will be my option if I don't get an offer)

3.) Regarding the personal statement, I am more than capable of stating the fundamental skills I've gained from my subjects such as critical analysis, problem-solving etc, but how would you go about linking these skills to optometry?

Sorry if this seems like a lot, it's just hard to find someone giving advice and help with Optom. Thanks in advance :smile:
Is there alot of chemistry required/ used during the course, like people say there is with pharmacy or would you struggle with it if you haven't done it
Original post by Janandos
You don't understand how happy I am to find this thread! I've wanted to do Optometry for the longest time and even though I'm certain that this course is what I am really passionate about, it really is a stressful time when it comes to this time around with UCAS applications. So basically I've got a few questions.

1.) Currently, I'm predicted ABB for physics, chemistry and maths respectively and the unis I would love to apply to require AAB, so I want to know if you think I should still apply, if so, how likely do you think I'm able to get an offer?

2.) Cardiff uni offers a preliminary year for which the requirements are BBB, and since I haven't taken biology do you think it'll be beneficial to take the preliminary year due to the fact the first year of the 3 year course is content-heavy on biology? (btw preliminary year will be my option if I don't get an offer)

3.) Regarding the personal statement, I am more than capable of stating the fundamental skills I've gained from my subjects such as critical analysis, problem-solving etc, but how would you go about linking these skills to optometry?

Sorry if this seems like a lot, it's just hard to find someone giving advice and help with Optom. Thanks in advance :smile:

Hi :smile: I understand where you're coming from- especially this year! I'm sure a lot of year 13's are feeling extremely stressed right now :frown: Just try to remember that you are very capable of going to university/studying Optometry. Predicted grades of ABB during a global pandemic is amazing and you should be extremely proud of yourself.

1) I think it's very likely that you'll get offers as predicted grades don't need to match entry requirements- you're only just starting Year 13! Additionally, I think universities know that predicted grades aren't always accurate (especially this year) and that students may do better. You should definitely still apply!

After they've read your application/interviewed you, they may reduce the requirements in your offer. Mine went from AAB to ABB :smile:

2) The amount of Biology content in the first year may vary from uni to uni. I would suggest emailing Cardiff uni to explain your situation and see what they think. They'll have a better understanding of how their course is designed and should be able to direct you down the right path

3) Try relating those skills to situations that an Optometrist may be in e.g.
-critical analysis: having to carefully examine what condition a patient has rather than jumping to conclusions
-problem-solving: using various types of information to diagnose patient e.g. eye test results & patient's history

I hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any more questions you have!
Best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by nxsha
I know that there's barely any advice or resources for students who are thinking of applying for Optometry (there isn't even an optom section on TSR), so I thought that I'd create this forum. I'll try my best to help you out :smile:

Hi I’m in year 13 and grades are really bad I’m just waiting until results day to see what grades I get but has only went to optometry with bad grades then resat and got in ?
Original post by Mxxry123
Is there alot of chemistry required/ used during the course, like people say there is with pharmacy or would you struggle with it if you haven't done it

Hi :smile: I didn't do Chemistry and so far I haven't come across anything I've struggled with related to it. The lecturers tend to know that everyone's A-Levels vary as Optometry doesn't have a specific entry requirement for A-Level choices.
eye would like to know what Is your favourIte colour for eyes.

Also, If you had to choose between keepIng your rod cells or your cone cells, whIch would you pick?
Original post by Jenny127
Hi I’m in year 13 and grades are really bad I’m just waiting until results day to see what grades I get but has only went to optometry with bad grades then resat and got in ?

Hi :smile: I know a few people who didn't have the right grades so they took a gap year where they resat their exams and reapplied :smile: The entry requirements may be lowered after sending your application/having an interview.

Are you 100% sure you want to do Optometry?
Original post by nxsha
Hi :smile: I know a few people who didn't have the right grades so they took a gap year where they resat their exams and reapplied :smile: The entry requirements may be lowered after sending your application/having an interview.

Are you 100% sure you want to do Optometry?

Yes I’m 100% but the problem is I have been getting u’s and in year 13 and I’m very scared that if I get three u’s for the actual exams that I won’t be able to go uni even if I resat cuz the will see my past grades
Original post by Native087
eye would like to know what Is your favourIte colour for eyes.

Also, If you had to choose between keepIng your rod cells or your cone cells, whIch would you pick?

I love these questions :biggrin: I like brown eyes because they look pretty in the sunlight and I'd pick cone cells because I want to keep my colour vision aha
Original post by Jenny127
Yes I’m 100% but the problem is I have been getting u’s and in year 13 and I’m very scared that if I get three u’s for the actual exams that I won’t be able to go uni even if I resat cuz the will see my past grades

They have to make the decision based on your resit grade, not your past grades. Even if they see them, it won't matter.

Can I PM you?
Original post by nxsha
They have to make the decision based on your resit grade, not your past grades. Even if they see them, it won't matter.

Can I PM you?

Yes I sent u a message 😃😃😃
Original post by nxsha
Hi :smile: I understand where you're coming from- especially this year! I'm sure a lot of year 13's are feeling extremely stressed right now :frown: Just try to remember that you are very capable of going to university/studying Optometry. Predicted grades of ABB during a global pandemic is amazing and you should be extremely proud of yourself.

1) I think it's very likely that you'll get offers as predicted grades don't need to match entry requirements- you're only just starting Year 13! Additionally, I think universities know that predicted grades aren't always accurate (especially this year) and that students may do better. You should definitely still apply!

After they've read your application/interviewed you, they may reduce the requirements in your offer. Mine went from AAB to ABB :smile:

2) The amount of Biology content in the first year may vary from uni to uni. I would suggest emailing Cardiff uni to explain your situation and see what they think. They'll have a better understanding of how their course is designed and should be able to direct you down the right path

3) Try relating those skills to situations that an Optometrist may be in e.g.
-critical analysis: having to carefully examine what condition a patient has rather than jumping to conclusions
-problem-solving: using various types of information to diagnose patient e.g. eye test results & patient's history

I hope this helps and I'm happy to answer any more questions you have!
Best of luck with your application :smile:

Thank you sm for replying back, I really appreciate it and you’ve actually made me less stressed about the application now.
Thanks again :smile:
Hi guys , I am an international student and I’m currently taking the NSW HSC ( New South Wales High School Certificate ) which is an Australian year 12 matriculation. May I know what’s the rough ATAR should I get in order to get into the course of optometry? ♡´・ᴗ・`♡
Original post by candiceeyeohh
Hi guys , I am an international student and I’m currently taking the NSW HSC ( New South Wales High School Certificate ) which is an Australian year 12 matriculation. May I know what’s the rough ATAR should I get in order to get into the course of optometry? ♡´・ᴗ・`♡

Hi :smile:

Most UK universities ask for A-Level grades of AAB (14 points) for Optometry, which I think is the same as around 95/96 ATAR. It really depends on where you're applying to so I'd recommend emailing your preferred University to get a more accurate answer.

I used King's College's conversion table: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/international#A
Original post by nxsha
Hi :smile:

Most UK universities ask for A-Level grades of AAB (14 points) for Optometry, which I think is the same as around 95/96 ATAR. It really depends on where you're applying to so I'd recommend emailing your preferred University to get a more accurate answer.

I used King's College's conversion table: https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/apply/entry-requirements/international#A

Thank you very much !! I will send an email to them :smile:
Original post by Ky64
Hey I want to know what is your favourite topic so far and do you have any revision tips?

Hi :smile: I'm currently enjoying the Biology-based modules as I love learning about the different structures in the eye in more depth.

Tips for revision depends on what subjects you're taking, but generally:
1) If you don't understand something in class make sure you look into it rather than leaving it- ask your teacher/read around the topic
2) Instead of reading from your notes, try creating flashcards and doing the 'blurting' method (where you write down everything you can remember from memory about a topic and then check it against your notes). This actively tests whether you've remembered content.
3) Make a general list for the week with everything you need to revise and divide it up into smaller lists for each day
4) Don't overwork yourself- prioritise your mental health by taking breaks, leaving your study space and getting enough sleep

Hope these help! Let me know if you want any subject specific advice :smile:
Original post by Ky64
Thank you. Do you have any tips on taking a break and then getting back into work cause I always get distracted/burnt out and don’t want to work for weeks

If you're getting burnt out then that might mean you're working for too long. It might be helpful to split a long revision session into half an hour chunks with 5 minute breaks. I think it's so easy to get distracted when you go on social media during your breaks- 5 minutes can turn into 30 so quickly :biggrin: If you're doing this then I'd suggest doing something else in your breaks like having a snack or going for a walk- anything that doesn't involve your phone.

Creating a 'cut off point' is also a good idea to stop overworking,for example telling yourself that you will stop working every day at 5pm. That way you have something to look forward to as after 5pm you can relax :smile:
How much maths content is there in Optometry? And what does the maths involve? I haven't taken maths for a-level and maths doesn't come easy to me so I am quite worried.

Quick Reply

Latest