Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by MRLX69)

Last one for tonight, i hope.
I need help on part b and part c.
Thank you all!
These questions always seem to annoy me, although i've done enough of them!

I think for (b) you just have to state the obvious, ie. that the average male height is around 177cm and that height is broadly normally distributed, so therefore this would be an appropriate way of modelling an adult male's height.

And for (c) perhaps mention that modelling helps us to obtain information (such as probabilities) about a set of data, which we couldn't be too sure about, when referring to just the data itself.

Hope that helps!
MRLX69
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I know, i hate stats, half of it isn't even maths. Just memorising equations and implementing them :rolleyes: . Thanks anyway
MRLX69
Rep:
?
For part B I wrote:

Mathematical models can help to improve our understanding of real-world problems as we are able to vary factors affecting the real-world problem without the consequences. Is that enough for two marks?
iluvcheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For part B I wrote:

Mathematical models can help to improve our understanding of real-world problems as we are able to vary factors affecting the real-world problem without the consequences. Is that enough for two marks?
Erm, I'm not sure if that'd get you 2 marks, perhaps only 1, as it only seems to be one definite point but then i'm not sure what you could write for the other... hmm, sorry for the uncertainty.
MRLX69
Rep:
?
(Original post by iluvcheesecake)
Erm, I'm not sure if that'd get you 2 marks, perhaps only 1, as it only seems to be one definite point but then i'm not sure what you could write for the other... hmm, sorry for the uncertainty.
I know! I wanna get 100% this time! I hate these questions! :mad:
planetzod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
For part B I wrote:

I don't think you'd get any marks for that. The question is asking why this SPECIFIC model (Normal distribution) is a good one, not just why statistical models in general are good

EDIT: Actually this is a good answer to part C (not B, as you stated). I seem to remember though that you should say that a statistical model is better because it does not involve the TIME and COST that a real model would

The two marks would probably be:

Allows you to experiment by changing variables: B1
Without time/cost of real model: B1

(2)
MRLX69
Rep:
?
(Original post by planetzod)
I don't think you'd get any marks for that. The question is asking why this SPECIFIC model (Normal distribution) is a good one, not just why statistical models in general are good

EDIT: Actually this is a good answer to part C (not B, as you stated). I seem to remember though that you should say that a statistical model is better because it does not involve the TIME and COST that a real model would
Nope, you're wrong. It doesn't say why 'THIS SPECIFIC' model.....

It says 'why mathematical models....' note it has a 'S' at the end of 'models' insinuating the generalisation of Mathematical Model'S'.
planetzod
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Nope, you're wrong. It doesn't say why 'THIS SPECIFIC' model.....

It says 'why mathematical models....' note it has a 'S' at the end of 'models' insinuating the generalisation of Mathematical Model'S'.
See the edit ^^^
MRLX69
Rep:
?

The two marks would probably be:

Allows you to experiment by changing variables: B1
Without time/cost of real model: B1

(2)
Yea, sorry, i was refering to part C. You're correct
MRLX69
Rep:
?
See the edit ^^^
See the apology ^^ lol
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (541)
80.27%
Leave (133)
19.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise