Help me understand why people choose to transition

Watch
sayko12312
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hello,

I simply want to understand why people choose to transition, why they feel uncomfortable with their biological bodies. I'm not religious, agnostic here. And even though i strongly believe the being LGBTQ is wrong, I'm confident I could be good friends with anyone part of that community. I just want to comprehend why someone would choose to undergo surgery to change their bodies. No hate, a heart to heart discussion.
Last edited by CoolCavy; 11 months ago
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
you can't choose to be trans. they have a disorder called,"gender dysphoria" it's an actual disorder. not all transgender people transition.
sayko12312
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by Vanessa Chuah)
you can't choose to be trans. they have a disorder called,"gender dysphoria" it's an actual disorder. not all transgender people transition.
I'm aware of gender dysphoria but i want to talk about the people who choose to transition and also is transitioning the only solution to gender dysphoria?
Vanessa Chuah
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sayko12312)
I'm aware of gender dysphoria but i want to talk about the people who choose to transition and also is transitioning the only solution to gender dysphoria?
ohh. right. no, you can do things such as packing, shaving (to make your hair grow back faster), wearing a binder.. etc. ... don't really know about trans girls because i don't know any tbh.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by sayko12312)
I've edited your title to make it clearer you are talking about the choice to transition rather than the choice to be trans (of which there isn't one, people don't choose their sexuality or gender :nah: )
Generally people medically, socially and legally transition to help others read them as the correct gender as well as making their outsides align more with how they see themselves. Not everyone transitions in the same way and some people don't transition at all, this could be due to transphobic family/friends, financial or legal restrictions. Different trans people experience dysphoria in different ways, some could feel very dysphoric about their chests but not their privates so may only pursue top/chest surgery rather than lower/bottom surgery. For some people the physical changes from hormones are enough to make them feel comfortable and consequently they may not choose to undergo any surgery.
At the moment allowing trans people to transition is the treatment option with the most successful outcomes, the small minority of people who detransition or regret transition often dont do so because they arent actually trans but rather because it wasnt the right time in their life to transition (unsupportive family for instance), they couldnt afford to, their surgery outcomes had complications or werent what they hoped etc.
There are plenty of trans youtubers who make educational videos on things like this, finn's channel is very informative

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (8)
5.59%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.78%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (24)
16.78%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.69%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (41)
28.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (25)
17.48%

Watched Threads