Turn on thread page Beta

L'Etranger - help please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing coursework at the mo (well, trying), and my question is something to do with whether the death penalty was fair or not. And as part of it I really need to find out what kind of crimes merited the death penalty in Algeria in the 1950's (or whenever it was set?)... I've tried search engines but I'm really useless with them, it's just coming up with a load of crap.
    Can anyone help me?

ReputationRep:
    Generally a French person who killed an Arab, would not face the death penalty, because the they were considered superior to the Algerian people. However in the context of L'etranger that is irrevelant because Camus uses the death penalty as a way for Meursalt to realise that life has meaning and is worth living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richy Rich$$)
    Generally a French person who killed an Arab, would not face the death penalty, because the they were considered superior to the Algerian people. However in the context of L'etranger that is irrevelant because Camus uses the death penalty as a way for Meursalt to realise that life has meaning and is worth living.
    Thank you I've waited for a reply for ages and I've even done half my coursework (very badly, but still). Yeah I agree with you, is there any evidence to suggest that the French were considered superior though? If I write it in my courswork I don't want to offend anyone.
    The last point you made, I'm definitely going to include something about why Meursault was sentenced to death and what Camus was trying to show. Most people in my French class have completely missed the point and their coursework is based entirely on Meursault's character, forgetting the fact that he's not actually real and was portrayed that way for a reason.

ReputationRep:
    Evidence during and before the algerian war, so about the time Camus wrote the book, shows that the pieds noirs i.e the French people who lived in Algeria, had their own shops etc like the aparthied in S Africa. This is also depicted in a film by some italian director called the "la bataille d'algiers".

when i was preparing for my interview at cambridge i used sparknotes.com and gradesaver.com and they re really helpful about L'etranger.

Changing the subject slightly how come you got rejected from Durham but accepted by oxford. What were AS ressults

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I'll check out those websites.

I don't really know why Durham didn't accept me! I rang them and asked, they said it was because I applied for the Combined honours course and my personal statement made me seem more suited to languages (I applied for french, german and economics). So I asked them if I could be considered for a languages course, they said no. :hmpf:
    Someone told me that Durham reject a lot of people who they think are Oxbridge applicants, who apply before Oct 15th and have predicted grades of straight A's... but I think that's probably a myth, you never know though. My grades at AS were AAAAB (2 marks off an A in physics, retaking a module... very soon ), but we don't declare them at my school.

How did your interview go at Cam? Do you know if you're in yet?

ReputationRep:
    My interview was ok, quite difficult questions and tests tho' all about literature i'd read and French history i said i researched in my PS. Yeah i got an offeron Fri for Clare college- 2A's

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!
    Wow, two A's? So you could get AAE and they would still let you in? Not fair!
    So what did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    Well i had done French a year early so i only needed to get 2 more As but i still have carry on with my fourth A2 coz i put it on my form but at least i dont actually need to do very well in it. and i applied for French and ab initio Spanish, thought about doing German but its quite a difficult language and i always get confused when speaking with all the word order.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.