The Student Room Group

Groningen vs Maastricht for MEDICINE

Hey! So I'm applying to study medicine in the Netherlands and from what I know, there are 2 universities that have medicine programs in English. I have several questions and would appreciate any information:

If medicine is a numerus fixus program, can I apply to study medicine in both Groningen and Maastricht or have to choose only one?

And the obvious/common question - which is a better city to settle, since I'll be studying there for 6 years?

Which is better in terms of the quality of the medicine program?

Right now I'm leaning towards university of Groningen, since it is older (in general and in terms of starting medicine courses in English first), bigger, has strong research facilities, the city is vibrant, fun and exciting, full of international students. My only concern is that it is a bit isolated from the rest of the country, but I believe it would still be possible to travel to other countries via trains?
So far, I've read quite a few bad reviews about Maastricht (on this forum as well) and its organization (I mean staff). So, probably the only quality that attracts me is that other countries and cities are relatively close so travelling is easier.
However, I'm curious about the supposed "international" community of Maastricht. If the majority of students considered to be "international" are German and Belgian, then it will be hard to fit in, since these people usually tend to group together. And in general, I would not consider this an "international" community:biggrin:

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post!
Hi, no idea about fixed-number; when I registered recently for Leiden on a normal application, I was going to add Groningen, but discovered that however I tried, could only add one course at Leiden, not the expected four or so. Also Studielink had slightly different course names & codes, but it worked out eventually, use both the Studielink & the uni website in parallel.

during my stay in NL I only made the one trip across the impressive 1930’s? afsluitdijk from where I was in Noord-Holland. Groningen was nicer than “Friesland” fixed mentality there near to Texel, in general the Dutch become warmer as you go further south, more open. Groningen might be OK too, I didn’t spend enough time there, perhaps you are far enough east?. The NS trains work really well.

Maastricht, twee location, valleys, (micro)-hills, basically Belgium where everyone speaks German. Nice place, for tourism. For real study, as long as you’re not in Frysia, you’ll be OK
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friesland

NL. It’s a very sensible, well organised country. Filled with people who tell it like it is! Refreshing change from some island nations.
Hi! I have answer only to the question about numerous fixus. This is a citation from website "study in Holland":
"For each academic year you can submit an application for a maximum of two numerus fixus programmes. The institution decides how many times you can participate in the selection of a specific programme.

Medicine, Dentistry, Dental hygiene and Physiotherapy programmes are an exception; for these programmes you can only submit one application per programme per academic year. For example; you can’t apply for Medicine at two different universities, but you are allowed to apply for Medicine and Dentistry."
Reply 3
Original post by justineooo
Hey! So I'm applying to study medicine in the Netherlands and from what I know, there are 2 universities that have medicine programs in English. I have several questions and would appreciate any information:

If medicine is a numerus fixus program, can I apply to study medicine in both Groningen and Maastricht or have to choose only one?

And the obvious/common question - which is a better city to settle, since I'll be studying there for 6 years?

Which is better in terms of the quality of the medicine program?

Right now I'm leaning towards university of Groningen, since it is older (in general and in terms of starting medicine courses in English first), bigger, has strong research facilities, the city is vibrant, fun and exciting, full of international students. My only concern is that it is a bit isolated from the rest of the country, but I believe it would still be possible to travel to other countries via trains?
So far, I've read quite a few bad reviews about Maastricht (on this forum as well) and its organization (I mean staff). So, probably the only quality that attracts me is that other countries and cities are relatively close so travelling is easier.
However, I'm curious about the supposed "international" community of Maastricht. If the majority of students considered to be "international" are German and Belgian, then it will be hard to fit in, since these people usually tend to group together. And in general, I would not consider this an "international" community:biggrin:

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post!

Hi! I also want to apply to both programs. Sadly, I read bad reviews about both of them, especially regarding the cheating during the exam and their late responses.
May I ask, where are you from? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by susana02
Hi! I also want to apply to both programs. Sadly, I read bad reviews about both of them, especially regarding the cheating during the exam and their late responses.
May I ask, where are you from? :smile:

I've only heard good reviews about them, especially from people actually studying there. Where did you read such information?
Original post by Catsarepurrfect
Hi! I have answer only to the question about numerous fixus. This is a citation from website "study in Holland":
"For each academic year you can submit an application for a maximum of two numerus fixus programmes. The institution decides how many times you can participate in the selection of a specific programme.

Medicine, Dentistry, Dental hygiene and Physiotherapy programmes are an exception; for these programmes you can only submit one application per programme per academic year. For example; you can’t apply for Medicine at two different universities, but you are allowed to apply for Medicine and Dentistry."

I'm not sure if that's true for all the numerous fixus programmes.I'm applying for physiotherapy and studielink has accepted that I make two applications, one at Hanze and the other at Saxion.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure if that's true for all the numerous fixus programmes.I'm applying for physiotherapy and studielink has accepted that I make two applications, one at Hanze and the other at Saxion.

That may be true, i just cited the website. Maybe it also changes year from year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending