The Student Room Group

UK universities

I would like to know which are the best UK universities for a physics degree or a maths-physics joint degree?

I am currently taking a gap because I got rejected from university because I didn't get A* in Maths. My A level Grades were A* in physics A in maths and chemistry and B in further maths. I am retaking taking maths and further maths, and hopefully, I can get A*'s in both.
By the way, those are incredible results! The best universities for maths/physics degrees are pretty much: Oxford, Cambridge, imperial, Warwick? With 3A*'s, you have a high chance of getting into all of those. You will have to sit entrance exams for these universities too: you sit the MAT for imperial + oxford and I'm pretty sure the deadline to apply for those is the 15th October this year. You might have to sit the STEP exam too but I'm not sure which unis require that- you might want to check that on the website :smile:
Original post by izzxm
By the way, those are incredible results! The best universities for maths/physics degrees are pretty much: Oxford, Cambridge, imperial, Warwick? With 3A*'s, you have a high chance of getting into all of those. You will have to sit entrance exams for these universities too: you sit the MAT for imperial + oxford and I'm pretty sure the deadline to apply for those is the 15th October this year. You might have to sit the STEP exam too but I'm not sure which unis require that- you might want to check that on the website :smile:

Thank you so much!!! I'll definitely do some online research on the entrance exams for these universities.
Original post by izzxm

Hi, I have one more question. How are Bristol and Edinburgh for physics when compared to Imperial?
Original post by SamuCalculus
Hi, I have one more question. How are Bristol and Edinburgh for physics when compared to Imperial?

I'll be honest, I'm not at uni but I'm in the process of applying to study maths next year. Imperial is the most 'prestigious' out of the three as it solely focuses on STEM subjects (it was my dream uni for the longest time but I don't have the predicted grades for it) so I would say that it's the best for physics, along with Oxford + Cambridge. Bristol + Edinburgh are both amazing universities too + have a really good reputation (I'm applying to Bristol so I might be a bit bias :smile:). Whichever of these universities you end up in, you're guaranteed to receive a very reputable degree :smile:
Can vouch for Edi. Great place c:
Original post by izzxm
I'll be honest, I'm not at uni but I'm in the process of applying to study maths next year. Imperial is the most 'prestigious' out of the three as it solely focuses on STEM subjects (it was my dream uni for the longest time but I don't have the predicted grades for it) so I would say that it's the best for physics, along with Oxford + Cambridge. Bristol + Edinburgh are both amazing universities too + have a really good reputation (I'm applying to Bristol so I might be a bit bias :smile:). Whichever of these universities you end up in, you're guaranteed to receive a very reputable degree :smile:

Thank you so much for your help man!!! All the best for your university plans, I am sure you'll do great!!!
Original post by izzxm

Thank you so much for your help man!!! All the best for your university plans, I am sure you'll be very successful!!!
Original post by SamuCalculus
Thank you so much for your help man!!! All the best for your university plans, I am sure you'll do great!!!

Thank you!! good luck to you too
Reply 9
do u guys think lancaster University is very good at teaching etc and its a reputable university that employers look at
Original post by Q and A
do u guys think lancaster University is very good at teaching etc and its a reputable university that employers look at

If its for physics, then yes. My daughter is studying there for first year and the lecturers are amazing and making the lectures and seminars really fun. Sobral and Bertram are excellent lecturers. Its also good for english and creative writing, and business management and marketing. Lancasters a good uni, but obviously it is down to you and what you get at the end of your degree.
There is a website called what uni https://www.whatuni.com/university-course-reviews/lancaster-university/3744/ . If you type in subject name and see what other students have to say about the course
Original post by Ghostlady
If its for physics, then yes. My daughter is studying there for first year and the lecturers are amazing and making the lectures and seminars really fun. Sobral and Bertram are excellent lecturers. Its also good for english and creative writing, and business management and marketing. Lancasters a good uni, but obviously it is down to you and what you get at the end of your degree.
There is a website called what uni https://www.whatuni.com/university-course-reviews/lancaster-university/3744/ . If you type in subject name and see what other students have to say about the course

planning to study business economics. do there find you a graduate program for you at then end or good job
Original post by Q and A
planning to study business economics. do there find you a graduate program for you at then end or good job

For the course my daughters doing, they do a lot of internships and some at the uni. Mainly in 2nd year onwards, you dont get to hear of many internships after first year finishes. The uni is having an online open day this saturday which is well worth the time.

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/connect/events/management-school-online-taster-day-21st-october thats the business school and they are also doing an online taster day. its business and management from what it says in the details. It says ''You’ll be able to get a feel for studying business-related subjects at degree level, and find out more about life at Lancaster''

https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/chat/ you can enter in economics in the search and chat online with a student there. they can tell you more detail on job prospects.
Reply 13
Hate to say this but the best University is the one you are happiest at. All the Russell Group universities offer courses accredited by the same people so the teaching standards will be much the same. My son applied to Cambridge and was accepted only to miss out on results day as the exam board messed up on marking. Ended up with 2xA* 2xA. Now in third year of combined maths and physics masters and very happy at University of York. All university's have something to offer. There is no point going somewhere that you ultimately won't be happy at. Student life is a bit different now with Covid but that will pass and you will have three or more years to live in your chosen uni town. Your results are awesome so I would be speaking to admissions offices now to see what they can offer you for next year before resitting.

Quick Reply

Latest