The Student Room Group

Taking a CompSci degree without Physics or Further Maths

Hi. I'm in year 12 currently and I'm taking Maths, Philosophy and Economics for A-levels. I want to be able to take a computer science with maths degree or a software engineering degree, but I've not been too sure if universities would accept me with my current A-levels. People have suggested that i do extracurricular activities that tie in to Computer Science (which I've been planning to do anyways) but just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation as me and if they've still managed to get into the university they want with their preferred degree.
Reply 1
Further maths will just give you a heads start with what you'll see in uni, it is by no means a requirement (unless you're applying for very high end universities like Cambridge)

You might have to spend a little bit of extra time on topics that you might not have seen before such as matrices or complex numbers - but these concepts aren't too difficult so you'll be able to get on a level playing field quickly
Reply 2
Original post by Rarest
Further maths will just give you a heads start with what you'll see in uni, it is by no means a requirement (unless you're applying for very high end universities like Cambridge)

You might have to spend a little bit of extra time on topics that you might not have seen before such as matrices or complex numbers - but these concepts aren't too difficult so you'll be able to get on a level playing field quickly

Thanks for replying. I'm moreso worried you could say about the physics side of everything. I've considered taking a foundation year if need be, but just wanted to know what level of knowledge in Physics is "essential" beforehand with taking CompSci. I got a decent GCSE grade, but I'd Imagine it'd be a lot more complex than that :')
hey, I did computer science at university without an A level in maths or physics
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Ershadul
Thanks for replying. I'm moreso worried you could say about the physics side of everything. I've considered taking a foundation year if need be, but just wanted to know what level of knowledge in Physics is "essential" beforehand with taking CompSci. I got a decent GCSE grade, but I'd Imagine it'd be a lot more complex than that :')

The two useful things physics gives you are analytical thinking skills and the electronics part. Physics is beneficial and probably the best of the three to take, but if you have not done it, you won't be hopelessly behind. You might have to put a bit more effort into the electronics part of course with circuits and such, but it won't be a huge deal more and there will probably be quite a few students in your position too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending