The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL BASc(Art and Science) 2021

Is there anyone who also applies for BASc in UCL?
When will you submit the application?Whats your major & minor?

Scroll to see replies

It's not what you asked for, but you might find some interesting info via the links mentioned in this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6698010
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
Hi! I just submitted my application a few days ago (because I'm also applying for History at Oxford) and I think I want to major in Societies and minor in Heath and Environment
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
i haven't sent out my application yet but im predicted AAB ( DT,physics,maths) and the course is A*AA as you know. do you think i will still get an offer ? oh also im predicted an A* in my turkish a levels and an A in EPQ. pls help this course is my first choice however my predicted dont actually meet. do i still have a chance ahaha. i will probably choose maths and engineering as my major and cultures as my minor. Im also applying to architecture at ucl.
Original post by lalaly
i haven't sent out my application yet but im predicted AAB ( DT,physics,maths) and the course is A*AA as you know. do you think i will still get an offer ? oh also im predicted an A* in my turkish a levels and an A in EPQ. pls help this course is my first choice however my predicted dont actually meet. do i still have a chance ahaha. i will probably choose maths and engineering as my major and cultures as my minor. Im also applying to architecture at ucl.

Hey, ex-BAScer here! So competition for places on the course is quite intense (and grows every year as the course becomes more popular) so it's quite unlikely that you would be offered a place if you don't meet the requirements (they used to be AAA but were upped due to too many applicants).
You would have to achieve the A*AA in a mix of arts and sciences subjects (I think DT, Physics, Maths would all count as sciences so you might not meet the subject variety requirement).
Realise that that might all sound quite pessimistic (sorry!) but you can always email the admissions office to double check if you meet the subject/grades requirements. BASc often also offer a few more places via UCAS Extra if come results day you do meet the A*AA grades and still want to apply!

Hope that all helps but any more questions just ask!
Reply 5
hello! I applied for the BASc degree as well, and am planning to major in Societies with a minor in Health and Environment!! the UCL office has sent me a questionnaire to fill out, but there's one question on it that confuses me a bit - "how would your ideal employer describe you? (4 marks)"
has anyone else done the questionnaire and had any idea what to respond for this one yet? thanks n good luck to everyone! x
I have applied to the BASc course at UCL. Any idea what format is the admission assessment?

Also, are students required to state their name and UCAS ID on each page of any document that has to be submitted or just on the first page of the document?
Helloo!! I've applied to BASc as well. planning to major in societies or science and engineering ( and minoring in the other).

I was wondering if my a level subject combination of math, bio, econs and psych would mean i wont have to take the test? also, when did you guys receive the questionnaire?
Reply 8
Original post by serenes
hello! I applied for the BASc degree as well, and am planning to major in Societies with a minor in Health and Environment!! the UCL office has sent me a questionnaire to fill out, but there's one question on it that confuses me a bit - "how would your ideal employer describe you? (4 marks)"
has anyone else done the questionnaire and had any idea what to respond for this one yet? thanks n good luck to everyone! x

i actually submitted my questionnaire a few days ago but this question totally threw me off! i ended up talking about myself in third person (which was awful) and mainly mentioned my leadership skills! hope this helps xx
Reply 9
Original post by izzard__
Hi! I just submitted my application a few days ago (because I'm also applying for History at Oxford) and I think I want to major in Societies and minor in Heath and Environment

Same here!! What specific courses do you want to choose? Do you get any feedback(like a questionnaire?) from BASc??
I'm a foundation student of ucl and plan to apply for society as my major and Health&Environment as minor... I noticed that some courses in year 1 have Alevel entry requirements while I don't have alevel scores!! Does that mean I can't choose that course? Anyone plz help me
Original post by Dreamerpo
Same here!! What specific courses do you want to choose? Do you get any feedback(like a questionnaire?) from BASc??

Yeah I got a questionnaire from BASc admissions pretty soon after I sent in my application but no feedback on it yet... By courses do you mean in terms of BASc options or courses at other unis? - For BASc, I'm really interested in the History options (obviously) but also the archaeology and anthrop modules and then for H&E I'm interested in the genetics and disease focused modules. I also really like the look of the Core Modules they have!
Original post by homuntan02
Helloo!! I've applied to BASc as well. planning to major in societies or science and engineering ( and minoring in the other).

I was wondering if my a level subject combination of math, bio, econs and psych would mean i wont have to take the test? also, when did you guys receive the questionnaire?

I received it about 5 days after I submitted my application and then had about a week/6 days to complete it and submit it!
Hi, I applied to UCL for BASc with a major in sciences and engineering with (probably) societies as a minor. I already submitted everything since I applied by October 15. I probably will have to take a writing test if I get selected because I take all sciences. How about you all?
Hi what’s the questionnaire like? Is it long/difficult, how many questions are there
Hi! I applied for the BASc too but I didn't think the course was competitive at all! i remember reading about an acceptance rate of 60%.. anyway, i did the questionnaire too but I think i answered too superficially.. i dont think 800 words are enough for all those questions! my major would be societies and my minor health and environment and i would be interested in economics, politics and philosophy/psychology modules.For everyone else that applied - what subjects do you take and what predicted grades? x
Original post by Anonymous
Hi what’s the questionnaire like? Is it long/difficult, how many questions are there

If i remember well there are 6 questions about why you chose to apply to the BASc and the benefits of interdisciplinarity. I don't think it's difficult but you don't have many words (800 in total), so definitely be careful about how long your answers for each question should be!
Original post by Biancaa313
Hi! I applied for the BASc too but I didn't think the course was competitive at all! i remember reading about an acceptance rate of 60%.. anyway, i did the questionnaire too but I think i answered too superficially.. i dont think 800 words are enough for all those questions! my major would be societies and my minor health and environment and i would be interested in economics, politics and philosophy/psychology modules.For everyone else that applied - what subjects do you take and what predicted grades? x

Hey ex-BASCer here - Just for context (I don't think UCL do this anymore though) a couple years ago when they included these stats in the prospectus there were 5 applicants for every place on BASc (which was higher than most other courses at the uni bar things liek Art and Architecture).

That said the admissions department usually looks primarily at your questionnaire over your grades (provided you meet the minimum reqs of course). They're mostly looking to understand why you chose an interdisciplinary course over a single/joint honours one so the key is just to be clear on what your views on interdisciplinarity are (no right or wrong answers though!).

Hope that provides some clarity but let me know if any other qs!
Original post by anchorheart
Hey ex-BASCer here - Just for context (I don't think UCL do this anymore though) a couple years ago when they included these stats in the prospectus there were 5 applicants for every place on BASc (which was higher than most other courses at the uni bar things liek Art and Architecture).

That said the admissions department usually looks primarily at your questionnaire over your grades (provided you meet the minimum reqs of course). They're mostly looking to understand why you chose an interdisciplinary course over a single/joint honours one so the key is just to be clear on what your views on interdisciplinarity are (no right or wrong answers though!).

Hope that provides some clarity but let me know if any other qs!

thank you! i hope i was being pretty straightforward with my answers - i didnt think about them for that long since i had only a couple days to complete the questionnaire and i just didn't want to overthink the whole process. On the other hand, my personal statement is pretty much based on interdisciplinarity since I'm applying for PPE so i hope that will help (if they read it). i have a few questions for you if you don't mind answering: how did you find the course in general? what were your major/minor and how do you think this course is regarded by employers? was it easy to find a job after graduating (if you were looking for one)? im sorry if this sounds like an interview haha but i'm really curious about this degree and an "insider" perspective would really help !
I just sent off my questionnaire today and am predicted 43 for the IB. I'm planning to major in societies

Quick Reply

Latest