helpmeplease704z
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
Hi.
Im currently in year 11 and am stuck on what a levels i should choose. I know I want to take history a level as it is my best subject and i am thinking of doing it for a degree. I also know i want to take religious studies as i think another essay based a level would go well with history and i really enjoy it. After that i am totally stuck!! I know maths would be an ok choice as it is considered 'facilitating' and i quite enjoy it. However, i enjoy art MUCH more and would love to an a level such as Fashion and Textiles. However im worried that doing this would be looked down upon for academic degrees in russel group universities and would disadvantage me??
If you had any advice i would really appreciate it, thanks.
hxmzaaaa
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by helpmeplease704z)
Hi.
Im currently in year 11 and am stuck on what a levels i should choose. I know I want to take history a level as it is my best subject and i am thinking of doing it for a degree. I also know i want to take religious studies as i think another essay based a level would go well with history and i really enjoy it. After that i am totally stuck!! I know maths would be an ok choice as it is considered 'facilitating' and i quite enjoy it. However, i enjoy art MUCH more and would love to an a level such as Fashion and Textiles. However im worried that doing this would be looked down upon for academic degrees in russel group universities and would disadvantage me??
If you had any advice i would really appreciate it, thanks.
It depends on what you want to do in life. Generally, picking A levels that support your ideal life plans would be a good idea. For example, I would take Maths, Biology & Chemistry if I wanted to do something in medicine. I can see why you'd want to choose subjects that you enjoy, and that should definitely be a part of your decision, but just keep in mind what you want to do with those A levels.
Dancer2001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Taking a STEM subject like maths keeps a lot more options open in case you change your mind about your history degree, and if you enjoyed it at GCSE you will probably do well at A level.

Taking art at A level isn’t automatically a bad thing for Russel group universities if it’s paired with more academic subjects, but the combination of history, art and RS doesn’t keep a lot of options open. It’s also a LOT of work, even though it can be considered a ‘soft’ subject. Could you start with art (or fashion/textiles) as your 4th subject, then you can keep it if you really like it, or drop it if it seems like too much work?

Another A level that might go well with your subjects is economics.
Last edited by Dancer2001; 11 months ago
helpmeplease704z
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dancer2001)
Taking a STEM subject like maths keeps a lot more options open in case you change your mind about your history degree, and if you enjoyed it at GCSE you will probably do well at A level.

Taking art at A level isn’t automatically a bad thing for Russel group universities if it’s paired with more academic subjects, but the combination of history, art and RS doesn’t keep a lot of options open. It’s also a LOT of work, even though it can be considered a ‘soft’ subject. Could you start with art (or fashion/textiles) as your 4th subject, then you can keep it if you really like it, or drop it if it seems like too much work?

Another A level that might go well with your subjects is economics.
i could take 4, but i really like the idea of doing an EPQ. I am not sure i would be able to manage to do all 4 a levels and an EPQ. I think i probably will just do maths and do art just on the side. Thanks for the advice!
helpmeplease704z
Rep:
?
(Original post by hxmzaaaa)
It depends on what you want to do in life. Generally, picking A levels that support your ideal life plans would be a good idea. For example, I would take Maths, Biology & Chemistry if I wanted to do something in medicine. I can see why you'd want to choose subjects that you enjoy, and that should definitely be a part of your decision, but just keep in mind what you want to do with those A levels.
Thank you!
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
i could take 4, but i really like the idea of doing an EPQ. I am not sure i would be able to manage to do all 4 a levels and an EPQ. I think i probably will just do maths and do art just on the side. Thanks for the advice!
I did 4 A Levels and EPQ and it was very challenging but it can be done. You know yourself the best so it's up to you to determine whether or not you are able to work that hard!
But I think you should do what you enjoy, that's just my personal advice.
helpmeplease704z
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloenix)
I did 4 A Levels and EPQ and it was very challenging but it can be done. You know yourself the best so it's up to you to determine whether or not you are able to work that hard!
But I think you should do what you enjoy, that's just my personal advice.
That's good to hear you found it OK. I might talk to some of my teachers and see what they think about me doing 4 levels and an EPQ. I just know huge workloads make me so anxious. Anyway, it's definitely something to think about, thank you.
chloenix
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
That's good to hear you found it OK. I might talk to some of my teachers and see what they think about me doing 4 levels and an EPQ. I just know huge workloads make me so anxious. Anyway, it's definitely something to think about, thank you.
Have you considered taking art/maths for AS Level and then dropping it? That might be an idea?
helpmeplease704z
Rep:
?
(Original post by chloenix)
Have you considered taking art/maths for AS Level and then dropping it? That might be an idea?
Yeah- that would be a good option if I did decide to take 4 and the workload was too much for me.
musicalrose
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Have you considered doing english or a language? It would definitely keep options open if you wanted to do something essay based at uni. Also it's a bit of a strange one, but my friend wanted to do history, but took economics at a level and then decided on economics instead- so maybe you could do econ or maths just to see if you like them? Or sociology- probably a rlly good one actually to do with history.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (12)
13.48%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.87%
I need help with filling out the application form (5)
5.62%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
40.45%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.84%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.25%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.49%

Watched Threads