visuals
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you think it is a good idea to mention that you had work experience organised that was relevant to your course (to show that you were being proactive) but it got cancelled due to covid? If so how can I word this?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
in more than a sentence referencing it? no, not really. your ps should focus on how you are motivated to complete a course and why you are suited to it. unfortunately a cancelled work experience placement does neither beyond semantically showing "you tried"

luckily though, if you meet the entry reqs for the degree course and can write your skills and motivation coherently, you'll probably be fine
visuals
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
in more than a sentence referencing it? no, not really. your ps should focus on how you are motivated to complete a course and why you are suited to it. unfortunately a cancelled work experience placement does neither beyond semantically showing "you tried"

luckily though, if you meet the entry reqs for the degree course and can write your skills and motivation coherently, you'll probably be fine
What about mentioning it at the interview?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by visuals)
interviews may well be more structured - most interviewers are good at a proper conversation if you can steer them that way but you may well simply be asked competency/skill based questions than personality questions

what im saying is, this cancelled experience needn't be your unique selling point
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What subject are you applying for?
visuals
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
What subject are you applying for?
education - i had it organised at a primary school
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
education - i had it organised at a primary school
I agree that its pointless mentioning it if you didnt do it - everyone is in the same situation, so you are not at an obvious disadvantage. You referee could mention this, but you dont need to waste space in your PS. The Uni will be far more interested in your motivation to be a teacher and your understanding of the job.

What other experience of working/volunteering with kids do you have? If this is a bit thin, catch up on TV programmes like https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...nd-5-year-olds - and anything else you can find about child development (not 'Supenanny'). Talk about what you learnt/realised/found surprising.
Also listen to any podcasts etc that are relevant - here are some suggestions : https://www.early-education.org.uk/podcasts or https://thirdspacelearning.com/blog/...g-podcasts-uk/. Some of them may feel a bit over-your-head but they are worth listening to get an idea of what 'academic' stuff you need to be aware of. Its also worth thinking about the current issues impacting education - not just Covid, but funding, controversy over SATs etc - and mentioning some of these.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (706)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (889)
42.72%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (393)
18.89%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.47%

Watched Threads