The Student Room Group

fashion tips

I'm going off to uni next year but unfortunately, I look very young for my age which is not what I am looking for. I like plain colours and I'm really into that whole preppy Korean fashion but it looks really weird on my body because I'm literally a 5'1 girl, Can I get some makeup tips and fashion tips on how to look more like an 18-year-old.
Reply 1
Original post by luv_pluto
I'm going off to uni next year but unfortunately, I look very young for my age which is not what I am looking for. I like plain colours and I'm really into that whole preppy Korean fashion but it looks really weird on my body because I'm literally a 5'1 girl, Can I get some makeup tips and fashion tips on how to look more like an 18-year-old.

Hi, I gotta say I got really excited when I saw this question cause I literally lived through this when I was your age 😂 I am 5"2' and look very young and fragile. Even more so when I was 19. I also love the same fashion and makeup styles as you, but I would try to wear the styles of my favourite 30 year old actresses and it did not suit me well 😅 It took me a long time to find my style, but I think I can give you some tips 😊 As petite girls some clothes are going to swamp our bodies, but there is a style out there to fit us. It's all about balance. If you wear a loose blouse on top, wear a pair of tight jeans or skirt on the bottom. A long sleeved top and a short, tight skirt is my favourite. Also, a pair of jeans with a camisole and a white top layered is a great balance of fancy and casual. Wearing tops and jumpers with a mandarin collar is also a great way to make a basic outfit look more put together without being too preppy. If you have a quick semiar or lecture and want to be casual, try wearing a block colour jumper with jeans and chunky trainers and then some stand out earings. It shows your personality without looking like you're wearing your sunday best. If you like K style then check out the site yestyle, they have an app too. They have very cheap prices and they deliver reliably to the uk. Even then you can just browse the site and use it for style advice.
As far as make up I used to go very over the top, with full makeup at 9am whe everyone else was all bareface so I would go basic for everyday so on a night or day out you can level up. I like wearing a brown or pink eyeshadow with a dark brown eyeshadow as liner. 'I Revolution' is a good, cheap eyeshadow brand where the colour pay off is nice and subtle, but not cheap looking. I also love glitter eyeshadow, it is my vice 😅 try a tinted lipbalm if you don't like lipstick, but if you want something brighter without the hassel try the tip tints from the Body shop. Try watching makeup tutorials by SSin nim, Pony Effect and Lamuique if you like subtle, kstyle makeup, gut they do strong, night out makeup too. I hope this helps and pls ask if you would want more specific help
Reply 2
Original post by Pomello
Hi, I gotta say I got really excited when I saw this question cause I literally lived through this when I was your age 😂 I am 5"2' and look very young and fragile. Even more so when I was 19. I also love the same fashion and makeup styles as you, but I would try to wear the styles of my favourite 30 year old actresses and it did not suit me well 😅 It took me a long time to find my style, but I think I can give you some tips 😊 As petite girls some clothes are going to swamp our bodies, but there is a style out there to fit us. It's all about balance. If you wear a loose blouse on top, wear a pair of tight jeans or skirt on the bottom. A long sleeved top and a short, tight skirt is my favourite. Also, a pair of jeans with a camisole and a white top layered is a great balance of fancy and casual. Wearing tops and jumpers with a mandarin collar is also a great way to make a basic outfit look more put together without being too preppy. If you have a quick semiar or lecture and want to be casual, try wearing a block colour jumper with jeans and chunky trainers and then some stand out earings. It shows your personality without looking like you're wearing your sunday best. If you like K style then check out the site yestyle, they have an app too. They have very cheap prices and they deliver reliably to the uk. Even then you can just browse the site and use it for style advice.
As far as make up I used to go very over the top, with full makeup at 9am whe everyone else was all bareface so I would go basic for everyday so on a night or day out you can level up. I like wearing a brown or pink eyeshadow with a dark brown eyeshadow as liner. 'I Revolution' is a good, cheap eyeshadow brand where the colour pay off is nice and subtle, but not cheap looking. I also love glitter eyeshadow, it is my vice 😅 try a tinted lipbalm if you don't like lipstick, but if you want something brighter without the hassel try the tip tints from the Body shop. Try watching makeup tutorials by SSin nim, Pony Effect and Lamuique if you like subtle, kstyle makeup, gut they do strong, night out makeup too. I hope this helps and pls ask if you would want more specific help

omg thank you so much you are so sweet, I do have another question is it weird to wear heels well not heels but short boots or something similar when I'm so short, and i don't really know how i would style that, also if you have any tips on how to get a natural makeup look that would be amazing.
again thank u sm. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by luv_pluto
omg thank you so much you are so sweet, I do have another question is it weird to wear heels well not heels but short boots or something similar when I'm so short, and i don't really know how i would style that, also if you have any tips on how to get a natural makeup look that would be amazing.
again thank u sm. :smile:

Hi again. I'm glad I could help 😊. I wear different heeled or platform shoes depending on whether I wear jeans or skirts. Just a reminder though that you don't have to wear heels 💜. I think heeled boots are a good idea. They're comfier and easier to walk in. I like to wear a short boot with a skirt/dress, it looks really cute. I do wear boots with troussers, but usually just with skinny jeans or boot cut jeans. I usually just wear chunky, platform trainers with jeans. You don't have to do this, just do what feels right and you will find your style.
For natural makeup I would advise wearing very thin makeup. I used to wear my foundation VERY thick, so if you do want to wear foundation I've found that using a cushion pack helps me thin out my foundation a lot. I bought an empty one on yesstyle and just filled it with L'Oreal. I am very oily so I powder my whole face and after a few hours it looks natural. I use sheer eye shadows like 'I Revolution' in pink and brown, or what is closer to your eye colour. Mascara and maybe an eyeliner drawn with a dark brown eyeshadow and on lips a tinted moisturiser or sheer nude lipstick. I usually go quite ham with my makeup so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but just keep Co Co Chanel in your head and take one thing off before you leave the house 😊
Reply 4
Original post by Pomello
Hi again. I'm glad I could help 😊. I wear different heeled or platform shoes depending on whether I wear jeans or skirts. Just a reminder though that you don't have to wear heels 💜. I think heeled boots are a good idea. They're comfier and easier to walk in. I like to wear a short boot with a skirt/dress, it looks really cute. I do wear boots with troussers, but usually just with skinny jeans or boot cut jeans. I usually just wear chunky, platform trainers with jeans. You don't have to do this, just do what feels right and you will find your style.
For natural makeup I would advise wearing very thin makeup. I used to wear my foundation VERY thick, so if you do want to wear foundation I've found that using a cushion pack helps me thin out my foundation a lot. I bought an empty one on yesstyle and just filled it with L'Oreal. I am very oily so I powder my whole face and after a few hours it looks natural. I use sheer eye shadows like 'I Revolution' in pink and brown, or what is closer to your eye colour. Mascara and maybe an eyeliner drawn with a dark brown eyeshadow and on lips a tinted moisturiser or sheer nude lipstick. I usually go quite ham with my makeup so I'm probably not the best person to ask, but just keep Co Co Chanel in your head and take one thing off before you leave the house 😊

you have the best advice, I'll definitely check out yes style and try and find the style that suits me the best. And yh my skin quite combination and I used to put on so much foundation that it felt really heavy I definitely try and experiment with my makeup and find a way to look the best for me. And thank you soooo much.

Quick Reply

Latest